Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to have a 3 eyelet strap ring (from MusicMedic) added to my Martin C Soprano. I can't find any pictures of a c soprano with a strap ring.

Any suggestions or even pictures of where to place the strap ring on a c soprano?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,715 Posts
Please forgive the Prep School question but do you NEED a strap ring?
When I first played soprano....not that long ago, I needed the ring, but, within a very short period I found no need for it.
I rarely play sop, but when I pick it up, even after an extended period, I still have no need of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,803 Posts
the reason why many old sopranos don't have a ring is because you shouldn't need a strap when playing a straight soprano, the ideal position for playing straight soprano is with the head slightly tilted downwards and holding the horn perpendicular to your lips with the elbows supporting the sax on the side of your body in this way your wrists are not tilted upwards which would strain them

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well there's two reasons; one is the sore thumb that I get after playing a while. That may go away but then again, it might not, considering my time available for practicing lately. The second is that by using a strap I expect to take a little pressure off my thumb and then be able to use my right hand in a more correct position for the instrument. I'm finding that my thumb gets in the way of the side F# keypad unless I hold the sax differently to what feels natural, then it puts even more pressure on my thumb.

·
6,715 Posts
OK... In that case, may I suggest that you dispense also with the strap. It really does not take long to acclimatise & it results in freedom.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Yes, the C-Sop is so light you (I) don't really need a strap... Can introduce more 'thumb' problems than it helps, without a strap you (one) has to find a naturally comfortable compromise.

I did try a sling on my C-Sop, worked ideally hooked into the top of my thumb-ring (it's a Conn thing...) - I can send you a pic if you'd like ? But I've since dispensed with straps on all Soprano's (C, Bb, Bb curvie) and haven't missed it, or dropped any - in fact, as Bb says, gives me more freedom to move, which aids the embouchure.

·
726 Posts
1 vote for no strap on C sop.
I think the absence of straps will give you a better posture, and a relaxed position to play.
If you use a strap probably you will pull the instrument down, increasing weight to your neck.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
I don't even like them on a Bb soprano. I guess the starting point would be to try a Bb soprano and see where the best balance point wound be. When in doubt, I would put it where the horn would be balanced evenly. Remember it will devalue the horn if you ever intend to sell it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts