Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,348 Posts
hrm. I am getting more grumps-like every day... it wasn't really in tune, and he was using lip technique to get a lot of the highest notes. Also, on tenor, that sort of thing is fairly easy. I'd like to see it on alto or even better yet, soprano. :evil:

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Never like anything. Ever.

Never trust anyone. Ever.

Never be impressed by anyone. Ever.

Especially if they began their "career" after 1990.

;) :D

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,245 Posts
I liked it and never tried it on alto.

On alto, which as you already know may be more demanding being a smaller horn for something like that, I haven't tried that. He is very good.

The highest I have played my alto, musically speaking, is A4 and sometimes with the same fingering it brings out a Bb5.

I know there are fingerings for going for C5 but have not tried it seriously.

Some cadenzas have those notes at classical saxophone but for blues or jazz I have not been able to presence them, on alto of course. On tenor I have heard and seen them.

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
121 Posts
i'm gonna have to agree with jason on this one. very poorly executed.
listen to some good recordings of one of the aforementioned classical saxophone pieces.(ibert, martin, dahl, etc.) once you hear someone who can actually play in that register, this guy will sound like he's struggling...

·
2,245 Posts
Well, I think he is very good.

Doing what he does is no joke and shows control over his saxophone. Never heard Anibal before. Is he a regular on somebody's band? Sorry for asking.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Really, this isn't that hard. I'm only 17 years old and I can do it on alto and even higher on baritone.
But thats not why I'm posting. I'm just telling you guys you just got to make a 'click' inside your head. I had it when I was learning E4 on alto. The minute I learned to play that note, I could get up to E5 on alto and G6 on baritone. Just practice and dont be afraid of trying new 'blowing' techniques.
I'm sorry if this p*sses someone off, but I just had to say it..

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
amoram said:
Really, this isn't that hard. I'm only 17 years old and I can do it on alto and even higher on baritone.
But thats not why I'm posting. I'm just telling you guys you just got to make a 'click' inside your head. I had it when I was learning E4 on alto. The minute I learned to play that note, I could get up to E5 on alto and G6 on baritone. Just practice and dont be afraid of trying new 'blowing' techniques.
Does getting a 'click' inside your head involve implanting electrodes?:shock:

·
2,245 Posts
Mmmmm....

amoram said:

Is that E5 the E5 of the Alto or what the tuner gives... just guessing. E4 on Alto is a very respectful not, a very few recorded altissimo E4 are around, not even say E5 I have not even heard at Ibert's Concertino Da Camera Cadenzas played.

Nobody will be p$%%&/)&&!""" if you can do it, just I do not buy it that easy, musicaly speaking.

E5 on an Alto... mmmmm..... the first E is the low one, thats E1.

I have been practicing for 25 years, I will keep doing it. So far, only able to hit chromaticaly and pentatonicaly to C5.

All the best,

JI

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
amoram said:
Really, this isn't that hard. Just practice and dont be afraid of trying new 'blowing' techniques.
Involving what? A compressed air cylinder and a length of hose?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
Jason DuMars said:
hrm. I am getting more grumps-like every day... it wasn't really in tune, and he was using lip technique to get a lot of the highest notes. Also, on tenor, that sort of thing is fairly easy. I'd like to see it on alto or even better yet, soprano. :evil:
I just think that people posting their scale practice on youtube is just a little strange. :cool:

...but not as strange as watching it.;)

...and if you must show off your scales, they better be perfect!

·
Registered
507 Posts
zorroperro said:
Is that E5 the E5 of the Alto or what the tuner gives... just guessing. E4 on Alto is a very respectful not, a very few recorded altissimo E4 are around, not even say E5 I have not even heard at Ibert's Concertino Da Camera Cadenzas played.

Nobody will be p$%%&/)&&!""" if you can do it, just I do not buy it that easy, musicaly speaking.

E5 on an Alto... mmmmm..... the first E is the low one, thats E1.

I have been practicing for 25 years, I will keep doing it. So far, only able to hit chromaticaly and pentatonicaly to C5.

All the best,

JI
Well, If you can get up to C5, you can get up to E5 too.. I think
Just lip up to it. I use different fingerings to D5 and then just lip up to E5. I'll see if I can record it or something.. I don't know. It doesn't matter much I think. Above the C5 the notes don't sound very nice.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,216 Posts
amoram said:
Well, If you can get up to C5, you can get up to E5 too.. I think
Just lip up to it. I use different fingerings to D5 and then just lip up to E5. I'll see if I can record it or something.. I don't know. It doesn't matter much I think. Above the C5 the notes don't sound very nice.

It's kind of like the definition of a gentleman. That's someone who knows how to play the bagpipes, but doesn't.:twisted:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts