Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about buying a no name stencil Bari from the 50's, that needs some repairs to work on, and later play. It bascially needs an overhaul. Now their is a dent near a tone hole in the pictures. What kind of trouble should I be worried about?

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to play a Bari, which is a plus. It doesn't have to major repair condition except for the dent near a tone hole. What kind of trouble could I expect from that dent? And a few minor dents near the bell which is to be expected.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
From the pictures provided it doesn't look all that major. The Dent work though will need to be handled by a professional. Everything else though I am going to learn how to do.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I decided to do some surfing and I can't figure this horn out. Its a Conn, dating to around 1924-25 roughly. I just can't figure out if this is a Conn Chu or 12M or not. This question needs to be answered ASAP though.

Thanks for the replies.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Columnist, Forum Con
3,801 Posts
Carbs said:
I decided to do some surfing and I can't figure this horn out. Its a Conn, dating to around 1924-25 roughly. I just can't figure out if this is a Conn Chu or 12M or not. This question needs to be answered ASAP though.

Thanks for the replies.
ASAP, eh. I don't think too many people will be in a hurry to answer a question like this. If you can try the horn that would be best. Otherwise, it's just guessing.

·
Banned
4,517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I know that it is old enough to be a Conn Chu, dated it to around 1924, but its an auction and I can't play it before I buy it. Do you know if Conn made a "C" or High pitch Bari?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
Are you sure you don't want a Selmer series II bari to match your Selmer series II tenor? :?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,469 Posts
That bari might only be keyed to Eb3, not F3. I've never heard of a C bari, but if it's high pitched, on vintage Conns there will be a letter H under the serial number (L if it's low pitch).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Champion of the C-Me
2,057 Posts
Carbs said:
.... Do you know if Conn made a "C" or High pitch Bari?
Bit late with the answer, but it was the soprano, tenor and bass which had the 'alternate' pitch of C - i.e. the now Bb saxes - not any of the Eb ones like bari, which had the alternate pitch of F.

There was talk of an early 'F' baritone sax, but I think those were only prototypes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts