Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! New video time!! I recently acquired a C Melody saxophone and figured I'd give it a whirl to see what it's all about. I put up a poll online, and after a couple hundred response the result said they wanted to hear something straight ahead first, so here's "Joy Spring." Let me know what you think, and what you want to hear next on it!

·
Premium Member
15,490 Posts
I used to have one of those horns and though it was weird, I really dug it because it was right in between an alto and a tenor sound for me. Kind of neat!

I like the key of F!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Actually it has a pleasing sound, and nice playing by the way. I don't have perfect pitch, and I'm glad I don't, it would drive me nuts as I play alto sax, tenor sax, and soprano sax as well as the C flute and alto flute which is in G. I've always liked Joy Spring, a difficult tune to play.

·
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Actually it has a pleasing sound, and nice playing by the way. I don't have perfect pitch, and I'm glad I don't, it would drive me nuts as I play alto sax, tenor sax, and soprano sax as well as the C flute and alto flute which is in G. I've always liked Joy Spring, a difficult tune to play.
Thanks! It's definitely odd because as sax players we're so used to hearing certain sounds when we play certain notes- it definitely messed with my head for a little bit!

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
What mpc are you using? I have one of these Conn C melody horns as decor in my house. I thought of overhauling it. sounds great

·
Registered
459 Posts
Never thought I'd say this, & assuming its the total weirdness of the c melody, but sounded like there were a few intonation issues there a couple of times? (And who am i to say, in any case?) Otherwise, tone sits very close to your alto, as I'd expect as its your alto mpc; and ideas and phrasing amazing!

Also I never realised how weirdly long the neck of a c melody is...

·
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Never thought I'd say this, & assuming its the total weirdness of the c melody, but sounded like there were a few intonation issues there a couple of times? (And who am i to say, in any case?) Otherwise, tone sits very close to your alto, as I'd expect as its your alto mpc; and ideas and phrasing amazing!

Also I never realised how weirdly long the neck of a c melody is...
There were a MILLION intonation issues!! Every single note needs to be adjusted for...it's really terrible. If you try to just play it like basically any other horn you will be wildly out of tune, IN BOTH WAYS!! It's crazy- some notes are 20 cents sharp, some 20 cents flat! I've played the thing for about 15 minutes total, and won't be investing a lot of time into "learning" the instrument- it's just a goofy thing that I'll make a few videos with. And yes, the neck is really big and weird- the whole thing is just odd! Hahaha, glad you dug it though.

·
Registered
459 Posts
Oh I definitely dug it! I've never played one, think I'll stay well clear; struggle enough on soprano for intonation!

Is there some science as to why a c melody is all over the place? Or is it just manufacturing standards are non existant?

·
3,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh I definitely dug it! I've never played one, think I'll stay well clear; struggle enough on soprano for intonation!

Is there some science as to why a c melody is all over the place? Or is it just manufacturing standards are non existant?
Honestly this is the first one I've ever played, so I can't say that they're ALL like this or not. I know this one is wacky though! (and don't worry- I struggle with soprano intonation as well! I think we all do...)

·
Registered
4,441 Posts
The Conn is more like an alto, the Buescher can be tenor like with the right mpc.
I used to play my C Melody a lot but now mostly play alto.
i use a Morgan mpc made for Cs, it has a short shank made for Conns.

·
Registered
537 Posts
I had a Buescher and a King C in the past. They played much more in tune with an actual C melody mouthpiece.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts