Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would Tenor kits work for pads and springs replacement on C Melody ? I have a 1929 Beuscher

·
Registered
14 Posts
I just called the shop where I am having a 1921 Conn C-Melody refurbished and was told they had to order some pads to fit. So, at least in my case some pads had to be special ordered.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
If you buy the pads as a set off Amazon, you'll run into shortcomings but if you have an assortment of pads that goes beyond the current run off the mill then there shouldn't be a problem. With the old Bueschers you may need to decide whether you want to stick with the snap-ons (available at PM Woodwind or else DYI) or mutilate the horn by grinding out the pegs.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
I'm not sure what "tenor kits" you are referring to, but the term sends up a red flag to me. Assuming you plan to do the work yourself, my first choice would be to disassemble the sax and measure the key cups to the closest 1/2mm. My second choice would be to order a set from Music Medic. They have a good track record with regard to the accuracy of pad sets, and you can return pads that don't fit and get replacements at no extra charge. If you plan to keep the Snap-On resos, they will furnish pads with the appropriate size hole already cut. If you are having the overhaul done professionally it is a good idea to let your tech order the necessary pads. I have had good success using white roos on buescher silver plated saxes, but care has to be taken to keep them clean.

If the blue steel springs are in need of replacing, your best bet would be to measure the diameters of the existing springs in thousandths of an inch and order individual springs in those specific sizes. I have never heard of "sets" of springs to fit a particular make and model. You can order individual springs from Music Medic for about $1 each. You can also order a 190 spring assortment of 10 springs in each size for $95.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,255 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you. I will measure and order individually. A couple springs are broke most show signs of corrosion and weakening. Thanks.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is it recommended to laquer after polishing due to rapid tarnishing of the silver finish ?

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Is it recommended to laquer after polishing due to rapid tarnishing of the silver finish ?
Spraying a clear lacquer finish over silver plating is NEVER a good idea. This forum contains several good threads about ways to slow and delay the tarnishing process that are the best alternative.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
Thank you. I will measure and order individually. A couple springs are broke most show signs of corrosion and weakening. Thanks.
I wouldn't try to replace the springs unless they are really broken. Most old Bueschers have screw-in springs that are hard to find, you can't just take any Chinese spring and shove it in the hole and if you solder them you essentially kill the tempering of the metal. Just wipe them off.

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
According to Saxpics the Norton springs were first introduced on Buescher Aristocrats which came out in 1932. The patent for the "Norton Screw" was approved in 1926 so there was a gap before Buescher adopted their use. Norton springs are currently available from Ferree's Tools.

·
Registered
2,866 Posts
According to Saxpics the Norton springs were first introduced on Buescher Aristocrats which came out in 1932. The patent for the "Norton Screw" was approved in 1926 so there was a gap before Buescher adopted their use. Norton springs are currently available from Ferree's Tools.
Thank you! Just when I needed a few myself!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts