Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I’ve found a pretty nice C-Melody sax at a yard sale that I can get almost dirt cheep that’s in pretty good condition as far as pads and keywork go. It is a pan American and says 1946 on it. I thought it would be pretty cool to play around with and stuff and just to have, the problem is that it dosnt have a neck or mouth piece… what do you think? Would I ever be able to find a neck? Would you pay $50 for this instrument?

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Not to nitpick (well, yes, I am), but they normally didn't come with underslung octave keys.... :tsk:

That said, what a find! Glad they're doing it. :cheers:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Are you sure it's a c-melody? A 1946 Pan-American has never been mentioned in the c-mel forums. Please take pictures if you are sure about it. A c-mel this young will strike up a lot of discussion amongst us c-mel afficionados!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
1946 is probably the serial number. That neck will cost you far more than the horn is worth. If it has a case in decent shape, the case alone may bring $100.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,819 Posts
Indeed check that this is a C melody, because you could have been easily mistaken, and even if it was a C, the cost of the Aquilasax neck and the work needed to fix the horn compared to its low value would be an anticlimax . You can pick up complete C melodies (always in need on at least new pads!) for 200$...........

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The owner said it was a C melody, it seems smaller than a tenor but obviously larger than an alto, it has a different lay than a tenor, and the 1946 is away from the cereal number on the bell. It has a case, in ok condition. The owner said that someone stole the neck and mouthpiece and that he gave $100 for the horn. This is the last day of the yard sale and I need to know whether it is worth $50 or not. He also has an old tuba [missing a valve and mp] and a mellophone [missing mouthpiece].

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
I bought a Buescher replacement neck from Aquiasax. It's based on a Conn neck, so the diameter and length are smaller than the regular Buescher. That being said, the intonation is good if I use an alto piece. Also the tube/rod for the octave lever was loose and a new rod had to be made. Also the tenon was reverse tapered and had to straightened and sized. The cost was low: $117.00 delivered. The finish was good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts