Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gold plated Conn c-melody (early 1920's) that someone cut through the side Bb key trying to remove a stuck screw. They managed to damage the end of the post, probably trying to drill out the screw, then cut through the key, leaving about a 1/16" gap.

Does anyone know where I might find a replacement post and possibly key (gold plated to match), or if it might be possible to repair this one to look decent? The sax is nearly 100% original gold plate and will be beautiful when restored. I get sick looking at the damage to that key though...

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Your only option is probably to find another one to use for parts. More likely than not, it won't be gold, and you'll never find someone to match the color of the old plating. Also, removing the post and adding a replacement is going to mar the finish.

Suggest you post a couple pics and let the techs here look at it.

·
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am hoping someone here has a gold plated C-mel parts sax that I might be able to get parts from :) The next best alternative is to get what I have repaired as well as possible. The sax is in the shop for a rebuild now, but they didn't have any gold plated parts saxes. I guess not too many people would part out a gold plated sax...

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
The post is easy to repair or if it is really mangled made from scratch. You can touch up the gold plating on the post with a brush plating outfit from a place like caswell, and the key can be repaired and either touched up like the post or sent to a plater like Anderson. If your repair person is doing a "rebuild" they should be able to repair the post and repair the plating damage to an acceptable level.

·
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I called my tech today, who was out of town when I dropped the sax off. He said it can be repaired so I am very relieved. He said something about putting a sleeve/shim in the post, which should take care of most of that problem and I guess the key can be stretched enough to cover the missing 1/16" or so that was cut off.

Great news for me :) I will post some pictures when I get it back, but unfortunately don't have any closeups of the damage for a before shot.

Here it is with my Selmer C-melody.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
The post is easy to repair or if it is really mangled made from scratch. You can touch up the gold plating on the post with a brush plating outfit from a place like caswell, and the key can be repaired and either touched up like the post or sent to a plater like Anderson. If your repair person is doing a "rebuild" they should be able to repair the post and repair the plating damage to an acceptable level.
The only problem with trying to touch up the plating on an 80-year-old horn is that today everyone uses 24k plating. Back then it was probably around 10k (abadcliche calls it "coin gold"). They don't match in color, and in fact aren't even very close.

Glad to here you found a way to repair it. Trying to find another Conn C in gold was going to be a long wait.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.