Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a New Wonder C melody. Once it is overhauled there is no way I can put it back in the stinky case where it has been hiding for a really, really, long time! Are there any new cases still available? Please attach links if possible.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
571 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,332 Posts
Thanks! I will check with my repairman. He should have an Allied account. The Cadence price of $200.00 is a bit more than I want to pay for a case that will not likely be in heavy rotation.
Any music shop in the country that works with Allied can get you case for your C melody horn, and their markups vary. Take the time to call around and make inquiries. I recently did this to get a case for a vintage, fixed neck curved soprano. I ended up getting one for less than $200, but some dealers wanted to charge me that much and more. So if you have a good relationship with a music shop, or your tech as you mention, and they order from Allied, perhaps they can do you a solid.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I found a new source for C melody cases on ebay recently:

It appears to have the right proportions and appropriate cutouts for the bell keys. I'm not sure how rigid the shell is. But it's the only new case I've come across besides the much more expensive and heavy Allied case which none of my local music stores will order for me.

Has anybody else bought one of these? At $170 shipped, it's a little higher than I had hoped, but appears to be about the only option left these days besides modifying a tenor case, which I'm currently using for my C melody. I have a straight micro-tuner neck Conn with split bell keys.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
I put mine in the reunion blues tenor case, with some hard foam chunks to pad it out. Kind of nice, because it feels like a really light tenor!
Thanks. I'm already using a modified tenor case which works fine (Tenor case mod for C Melody). It is like carrying a very light tenor like you said. I just want a smaller case made for the C melody. I was hoping somebody else had experience with this particular case before I buy it.

EDIT: I went ahead and ordered one. I'll post a review when it arrives a month or two from now.

·
Registered
2,683 Posts
5 weeks and $170 later, the ebay C Melody case from China is here. It shipped about 2 weeks after I ordered and got to my door 3 weeks after that (east coast US). I was concerned such a large item would get stuck in customs, but it went through ok.

The case is exactly as pictured on ebay and is indeed custom fit for a C Melody with split bell keys. My Conn New Wonder II fits perfectly except for a little extra space at the top of the body. I'll probably put a little something in there for a tighter fit at the top if I ever do any air travel with it. The bell keys fit great. The quality of construction is very good.

Since the ebay description is very short on details, here are the specs:
  • 27.5x11x7" (70x28x18cm)
  • 7.25lb (3.3kg) empty / 12.75lb (5.8kg) including horn

That's about the same length as a fixed neck straight soprano case and about 1.5" (4cm) longer than the original case and 1.75lb (0.8kg) lighter than the original. It's about 4" (10cm) shorter than a typical tenor case or 3" (7.5cm) longer than a typical alto case.

The outside pouch can accommodate sheet music and has some padding as well, not just thin fabric. You can see the backpack straps and outside pocket in the ebay pics. But it also includes a shoulder strap with very cheap plastic clips.

It has nice sized, comfortable handles on the top and side, and the shell is light yet rigid (probably wood). You can actually see the thickness of the shell and reinforced corners in the picture. The zipper is pretty good quality. But it is lacking a velcro safety catch typically found on other zippered cases. The inside fabric isn't very plush, but does an adequate job. The outside fabric is thick and durable. The quality of the stitching is very good.

It's no Protec, but overall a decent case and pretty much the only option these days for a new C Melody case. Even though I think it's a bit over-priced, I don't regret my purchase. I like the fact that it offers much better protection than the original case and is not nearly as large as a tenor case.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,874 Posts
@ $79 + $89 shipping that’s not all bad for no other choice. looks like cloth exterior?
Im guessing the extra end space is to cover all brands. Buescher has a bowfin. End plugs varying ect. Thanks for postIng feedback.

·
Registered
110 Posts
5 weeks after ordering, the ebay C Melody case from China is here. It shipped about 2 weeks after I ordered and got to my door 3 weeks after that (east coast US). I was concerned such a large item would get stuck in customs, but it went through ok.

The case is exactly as pictured on ebay and is indeed custom fit for a C Melody with split bell keys. My Conn New Wonder II fits perfectly except for a little extra space at the top of the body. I'll probably put a little something in there for a tighter fit at the top if I ever do any air travel with it. The bell keys fit great. The quality of construction is very good.

Since the ebay description is very short on details, here are the specs:
  • 27.5x11x7" (70x28x18cm)
  • 8lb (3.6kg)

That's about the same length as a fixed neck straight soprano case and about 1.5" (4cm) longer than the original case and 1lb (0.5kg) lighter than the original. It's about 4" (10cm) shorter than a typical tenor case or 3" (7.5cm) longer than a typical alto case.

The outside pouch can accommodate sheet music and has some padding as well, not just thin fabric. You can see the backpack straps and outside pocket in the ebay pics. But it also includes a shoulder strap with very cheap plastic clips.

It has nice sized, comfortable handles on the top and side, and the shell is light yet rigid (probably wood). You can actually see the thickness of the shell in the picture. The zipper is pretty good quality. But it is lacking a velcro safety catch typically found on other zippered cases.

It's no Protec, but overall a decent case and pretty much the only option these days for a new C Melody case. Even though I think it's a bit over-priced, I don't regret my purchase. I like the fact that it offers much better protection than the original case and is not nearly as large as a tenor case.

View attachment 109499
Looks nice!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,317 Posts
Good to know if I ever start playing my Cmel outside of the house!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts