Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I am looking at getting an intermediate tenor (currently renting YTS-200AD), and had originally had my eye on the La Voix II by Selmer (STS280R), but then I became aware that there are C.G. Conn versions (supposedly identical except for engraving & bracing) (CTS280R). They were marketed overseas and didn't do well, so they're discontinued.

If I have the opportunity to get one of these (new) for 1/2 the price of the Selmer version, is there any reason I don't know about that says I shouldn't do this? They're both made in Taiwan. TIA for any opinions.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
26,013 Posts
Intermediate is a marketing label geared to sell parents three horns while their kid gets through school (beginner, intermediate, pro). You'd be much better off buying a second hand pro horn that will last you a lifetime and retain its value should you quit.

·
Registered
5,498 Posts
Yeah, the whole saxophone marketing thing has gotten kind of crazy.

The bog-standard Yamaha student horns (used to be called YAS-23, YTS-23, etc.) nowadays sell for MORE than some of the Chinese products that are labeled and marketed as "Professional" - and in fact the Yamaha student horns are probably better instruments too.

If you add to that, the situation that Conn-Selmer-UMI-whatever they call themselves this week have apparently bought up every remaining traditional nameplate and are randomly applying those names to a wide and constantly changing variety of China and Taiwan made instruments of unknown quality, you end up with a giant mishmash of stuff below the Selmer Paris - Yamaha Custom - Yanagisawa - Keilwerth Germany level that to me at least just seems impossible to decipher.

I am sure glad I'm not in the market for saxpohones.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I went ahead and got it, as I only invested $1100 a new tenor. I'm not too heavily invested into it if it doesn't work out. Who knows, maybe I'll even really like it. :) Thanks for the info. I love coming here for straight answers.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
Just had a buddy let me try his new La Voix II. Decent Chinese horn that looks like it's modeled after a Selmer Serie II, though I'd say it plays darker and more spread. In my opinion, it plays more like a Yani. Decent player off the shelf. I'm curious to see how it holds up.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, seeing as how I'm a 50-yr old who is conscientious about caring for his instrument, as opposed to a 15-yr old taking it on the bus to band class daily, I'm hoping it lasts a while. It actually played better than I expected out of the box. Good key-action, nice full tone. The sound was slightly edgier than the Yamaha YTS-200AD I'm used to, but I like the difference. The upper range was more open sounding. I'm going to take it in to get setup and adjusted as needed, but there were no glaring problems from what I can tell.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Reviving an old thread... just curious how ended out liking the Conn? I got the pretty much the same deal on the alto, and though I primarily play my tenor (not a Conn), I like the alto, and have been happy.

So I was just curious.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts