Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've played a C-foot horn all my life. I'm just curious as to the opinions out there about differences in the playing experience of C-foot vs. B-foot.

Outside of being able to play an extra note, do you notice any other differences in the way a B-foot plays vs. C-foot? For example, is the extra weight noticeable? And do the notes in the normal register sound any different? Thanks.

·
3,165 Posts
B foot with gizmo can make the 3rd and 4th octave easier, and both teachers I studied with spoke of a fuller, possibly darker sound with a b foot.
That said, Rampal, Moyse and many other greats played c foot.
Now they seem standard on high end flutes.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,362 Posts
Yes a few high notes are more stable and D2 may not be as sharp but the main reason to buy the B-foot is resale (in the US). I higher end flute with a C foot is a real dog to sell here. The good part is that if you are OK with a C foot, there are some bargains to be found.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
I have always had a C foot.

I have not had an issue with the notes up to the third D. When I test-play flutes with B foot, I wonder what the claimed advantage is. It seems tiny to me - perhaps a bit of a bandaid for insufficient breath pressure?. (To me, split E is a far bigger issue.)

I hate the precision required to hit that low C roller, and to hit the two rollers exactly together. C is far easier on a C foot.

My playing has been largely shoe music. In 150 seasons, the music called for a low B once. It so happened that the player beside me had a spare low Bj foot that fitted my flute. I preferred to add a bit of plastic tube to the end of my C foot, turning B into B. That meant C was not available but it was not needed and seldom would be. It also meant C# was a bit flt but I could easily lip it up. A lot cheaper than buying a low B foot!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,348 Posts
I think I have seen some high end flutes that offer the option of c foot, b foot, or both.

·
Registered
478 Posts
My flute has a B-foot. It's only purpose is to make me feel bad about myself when I'm doing long tones, then I don't use it for the rest of the day. I think it's useful if you're a serious contemporary professional classical flute player

·
4,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would agree, Brian. You can't play low B with any sort of presence in a group (low C is difficult enough), so it seems to me that the low Bs only use is for modern solo recital music.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts