Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I came to this site because I've read the forums and so on for years. I made an account just last week in order to solicit help in finding a rare saxophone, as I've looked across all of ebay and craigslist with no success. To my surprise, you don't allow the marketplace (the only place I can evidently find help to acquire the instrument in question) until 6 months of activity! This is a huge turnoff, and I feel like it pushes away new members, as it has me. I will not be revisiting SaxOnTheWeb unless this is changed... I would suggest actions that don't kill your community, however, limiting trade is a surefire way to do just that.

·
Registered
200 Posts
This is a community before it is a marketplace. A little participation is all they are asking for its really not a big deal unless you don't intend to participate but just buy and sell. Sorry to see you go.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I came to this site because I've read the forums and so on for years. I made an account just last week in order to solicit help in finding a rare saxophone, as I've looked across all of ebay and craigslist with no success. To my surprise, you don't allow the marketplace (the only place I can evidently find help to acquire the instrument in question) until 6 months of activity! This is a huge turnoff, and I feel like it pushes away new members, as it has me. I will not be revisiting SaxOnTheWeb unless this is changed... I would suggest actions that don't kill your community, however, limiting trade is a surefire way to do just that.
The Community seems to be alive and thriving, so I doubt that it’ll cave to your threat of an embargo.

We haven’t had a good YAGE in some time. Thanks for that.

Be well.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Resentment is a poison you take hoping the other person will get sick. Stick around and make some contributions, continue to read, get tons of information, support and a few snarky comments....or not.

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Ahh......"instant gratification". Well son, you can't win 'em all. So you've been lurking FOR YEARS and only recently set up an account? Pffft.....

Toodles.

·
Registered
16 Posts
A quick check into your posts reveals that you are young. Life is long, my friend, don't be so quick to dismiss the value of discussion vs. sales on the forum. Why not just inquire about the saxophone you're interested in (in an appropriate sub-forum)? Also, don't be too thin skinned if you're called out about using the search function (I have few posts vs. membership time because I used the crap out of the search function!). Anyway, welcome and I hope you choose to stay and engage the fine folk here. Be well.

·
Registered
170 Posts
@ Op: The forum rules were put in place expressly to discourage people like you. This is a Forum - a place to talk, discuss, communicate, even argue sometimes. It is not primarily a market place. The market place is a benefit for the membership of the forum. If all you need is a market place, there are many sites available.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,904 Posts
To my surprise, you don't allow the marketplace until 6 months of activity!
It shouldn't be a surprise as it is quite plainly mentioned in the forum rules.

This is a huge turnoff, and I feel like it pushes away new members, as it has me.
This is the point of the rule, to not encourage people to join merely to trade in saxophones.

. I will not be revisiting SaxOnTheWeb unless this is changed... I would suggest actions that don't kill your community, however, limiting trade is a surefire way to do just that.
Point noted as everyone is welcome to an opinion and to make suggestions. However limiting trade to established members seems to be what the majority of the community prefer. It's not that hard to join in the discussion and make yourself part of that community, and once you are established trading is all part of it.

·
Registered
708 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,887 Posts
The other reason, besides fostering community, is one of community safety. A scammer is much less likely to hang out and post for six months than just showing up and trying to rip people off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,019 Posts
I would say that the OP does bring up a good point. This is something I’ve been meaning to post about for a while.
I’m not sure if anyone else has noticed this, but before this marketplace ban on new members was placed there was a lot more interest on marketplace items compared to now. And the numbers show it, it’s all in the number of views on the for sale threads. They are so few compared to before. Honestly, I would say that the new member/under 50 post members is a huge market that SOTW has cut off. For the guys like myself who are interested in selling equipment and horns to the public, that market was huge for me and many others I have talked to and it was quite frustrating when that whole market was suddenly cut off. That market was people who were just looking to buy a horn and created an account right then and there to do so and now they have to wait 6 months to search for that item. From the other side of things, I have a lot of buddies who had accounts with less than 50 posts who were extremely upset when that ban was placed, as they loved how they could see all the for sale ads and potentially buy items but then they were suddenly cut off out of the blue and had no way of seeing it. They were asking me for screenshots of the marketplace just to see it again. All in all, I completely understand where the OP is coming from and hey maybe I’m the only one on here that is frustrated by this new member ban, but that’s just my two cents.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,962 Posts
Well, I am of two minds here.

Indeed, now that the Marketplace is actually unviewable to those who do not meet the requisites...views per ad may be down.

But that doesn't necessarily mean your item will sell more slowly. Views and actual interest are two completely different things.

With that said, I am not certain I have ever necessarily agreed with the 6 month aspect of the rule...but we all can pick at this and that.

IMHO, even with the Marketplace rules, the site has become significantly more focused on 'stuff' as opposed to music and ideas. I would only imagine that loosening the rules would make it even more so.

To the OP (although you may be gone now)....you know, based upon the situation you have described...you could WELL have utilized this site to aid in your search WITHOUT necessarily having to post in the commerce/transaction sections of the site. There are several other sections/subforums where a query of the nature you describe could have been posted, with ensuing discussion I'd imagine.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
3,043 Posts
Aaaaaaaaaw, diddums…

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,790 Posts
Why not just post a question about the saxophone you are looking for in one of the subforums or even the member's area. I would think that would be ok. It would probably have taken you less time than this post saying goodbye did..........

·
Registered
232 Posts
Here toady and gone toady as well! You could have had assistance in finding a rare sax (was it a contrabass maybe?) just by asking for sightings in one of the relevant fora - to flounce off because you didn't read the rules is rather childish...

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.