Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i recently purchased a used M-Audio USB Duo, and I started it up tonight to start recording. I can record perfectly, and it plays back perfectly through my headphones when I'm using Audacity, but when I click record in audacity to record over another track, the other track comes through my headphones off key and very crackly. How can I fix this?

Also, when I am recording I can't hear what I'm currently recording through my headphones. How do I monitor my sound?
Thanks

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
Welcome to SOTW.

Are your heaphones plugged into the M audio or your computer?

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
Saxonthemax said:
The headphones are plugged into the M-Audio.
Try plugging your phones into the computer.

·
Super Moderator
26,299 Posts
I think the problem of the 'crackly' sound is a software problem. I'm not very familar with Audacity, but it could be that the sample rates are set up incorrectly.

To hear yourself, or the backing tracks, there should be a radio button or checkbox somewhere that says 'monitor' or 'monitor playback' or some such.

Does Audacity have a help section? You may find your answer there.

As far as Bill's posts, he probably has you confused with a couple of other posters that have been having problems with their M Audio equipment. You might try a search to find that out.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
Sorry, Hak is right, we have had a couple discussions about that piece of hardware.

In Audacity go into preferences and under I/O you will need to set the output to the built in sound card, and the input to the USB Duo. then you should be able to monitor the input signal as well as the backing tracks. I say should, because I have tried it with another USB input device and it didn't work as it should have. USB is pretty much a one way stream, so even if you did get the input signal back to the headphones thru the USB device the latency would be insufferable.

Also make sure you have checked "hear other tracks while recording new"

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I changes the setting in Preferences -> I/O to output to the built in sound, and I clicked the box that says "Play other tracks while recording".

I also clicked the box "Play current track while recording", so I could monitor my input, but there was about a .2-.5 second delay, so it threw everything off.

·
Registered
7,862 Posts
That's what I thought. I tried the play current track once and it was insufferable. just think about it, the sound has to leave your horn, go thru the usb to the pc, be compressed and then decompressed (yes even an "uncompressed" wav file is really compressed into signals the computer can understand,) then decompressed and back out... so there has to be some delay.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
Bill Mecca said:
USB is pretty much a one way stream, so even if you did get the input signal back to the headphones thru the USB device the latency would be insufferable.
USB 1.1 has enough bandwidth to run two channels into the PC, and two channels back to headphones via the audio interface. But yes, the latency is extreme. Which is why USB devices like Digidesign's Mbox line have a "mix" knob, so you can rout the inputs directly to the headphones before it gets to the PC.

USB 2.0 achieves higher throughput by buffering the data stream, which is fine for cameras, and scanners, and the like, but not so fine for recording.

Serious recording devices use PCI/(X)/(e), or Firewire.

·
Premium Member
1,546 Posts
I should also add, that USB 1.1 has enough bandwidth to run those two channels in and out, at no more than 24-bit, 48K. High sample rates are he domain of more expensive interfaces.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts