Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying this reed finishing system after all the good stuff I've read about it on these forums but I can't find it anywhere around.

It's available at amazon.com but isn't being shipped to Europe.

Anyone had experiences with this?

Thanks!
Gennadiy

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
I got one direct from him to Canada, no problem. I imagine he would ship it anywhere as long as you covered the difference in shipping. Great product by the way.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Beware: I tried to get one off Tom to the UK, and it never arrived. He blamed the UK postal system, but i have ordered scores of things from the US, all of which have arrived with no problem. He was not very helpful and made no further attempt to get one to me. This is the only bad experience ordering gear from the US that I have ever had.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts
If you pay for tracked shipping then then wont be any question of whether it made it into the mail? I order lots of stuff from the US and UK. If I dont pay the premium for tracking and insurance and it goes AWOL, then thats the cost of trying to get it shipped on the cheap, its a small risk, but generally it works out more economical, and if one in 100 goes missing in transit, well, I live with it.

·
Registered
721 Posts
If you pay for tracked shipping then then wont be any question of whether it made it into the mail? I order lots of stuff from the US and UK. If I dont pay the premium for tracking and insurance and it goes AWOL, then thats the cost of trying to get it shipped on the cheap, its a small risk, but generally it works out more economical, and if one in 100 goes missing in transit, well, I live with it.
The problem is he doesn't seem to bother about such things: he reckoned he had lost big orders going to the UK before, which suggests he ought to insist on insurance, but it seems he doesn't. As I said, this has never happened to me otherwise, and I order too much gear from abroad!

·
3,310 Posts
It not up to him to be bothered about it.

Stuff is bound to go missing from time to time. The more you buy, the more likely you are to experience a loss. As long as it gets put in the system the seller has fulfilled their basic responsibility, and a tracked shipment method will ensure that something was at least put in the mail. Beyond that you get what you pay for. Ive always considered shipping coverage to be the buyers responsibility, not the sellers, so if you are worried at the prospect of something going awol then pay for the insurance or different shipping methods.

My attitude has always been if its cheap then I dont bother with insuring as its generally not worth it. If its expensive and I dont want to risk that loss, then I will pay for insurance and then if it goes AWOL I am not on the hook for the loss. For something like the ATG I would probably not bother, as long as it was a trackable shipping method so that there is no doubt that it was actually mailed in case of a dispute. Wouldnt have thought it would be much more than ten or twenty quid to mail it tracked to the UK.

From the US to Canada the basic international USPS is covered up to $100 anyway, but you need proof of loss (ie tracking). I forget if that works to the UK too, although Im pretty sure they make it a pain in the arse to actually make a successful claim...

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree with all you say about insurance and my responsibility, but he never proved he had posted it, if I remember rightly, and his complaints about the British postal service don't ring true in my experience. A good supplier would be bothered about a customer not getting what they had ordered: I would maybe have swallowed the loss and ordered it again, but didn't get the chance, as all he did was moan about the postal system. That's why I found it all rather irritating.

·
3,310 Posts
I agree with all you say about insurance and my responsibility, but he never proved he had posted it, if I remember rightly, and his complaints about the British postal service don't ring true in my experience. A good supplier would be bothered about a customer not getting what they had ordered: I would maybe have swallowed the loss and ordered it again, but didn't get the chance, as all he did was moan about the postal system. That's why I found it all rather irritating.
LOL, if he has problems with Royal Mail be should try Canada Post! Royal Mail are the gold standard in comparison.

Its not good customer service that's for sure. I recently ordered some pet meds online that went missing in a recent postal strike here, and the company refunded me, even though it was not really their fault as far as I could tell.

Of course, I shouldnt complain about Canada Posts competence too loud, at least half the time they neglect to collect the tax/ handling charges that my online purchases should accrue...

·
Banned
3,000 Posts
It's in stock at WWBW. Don't they ship internationally? Whatever extra they might charge to ship it to you will be money well spent. This system is revolutionary. I'll never use anything else.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I am looking into buying this reed finishing system after all the good stuff I've read about it on these forums but I can't find it anywhere around.

It's available at amazon.com but isn't being shipped to Europe.

Anyone had experiences with this?

Thanks!
Gennadiy
Google "Tom Ridenour". I bought it directly from him. I use it mostly for thinning reed tips. It works for synthetic reeds also.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts