Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hallo,

i am thinking about buying this bassclarinet over the net. While it is plastic one, do you think it is ok, to buy it on the webshop - without comparing different peaces? It would be much easier and affordable this way for me.

thanks for your opinion in advance

tomas

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
Yamaha is notorious for imposing a non-export clause onto their resellers, in order to thwart parallel imports.

Where do you plan to buy - within your home country, or from abroad?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,761 Posts
I recently bought one of these (new) over the web. There were none in stock within a hundred miles of me. It played fine right out of the box. One rod wasn't securely screwed and slipped out after a few days; it was no problem to screw it back in. I thought the first left finger E/B key and the first right finger Bb/F keys weren't closing properly but that turned out to be a matter of accurately aligning the upper and lower joints. A drop of oil and a few days of playing freed up the action on the second finger D/A ring and pad mechanism. Expect to do a little bit of tweaking but I think Yamaha has pretty good quality control. You could have a tech check it over but I don't imagine an elaborate setup procedure would be necessary. Enjoy your bass!

·
Registered
601 Posts
If it's the new Yamaha 221 II, it's the best plastic bass clarinet you can buy, in my opinion. You would have to pay several times as much for an instrument that's noticeably better. Any instrument that goes through the mail is going to need some adjustment on arrival. The delivery companies seem to take a "fragile" sticker as a challenge to abuse a parcel, and new instruments from the big internet vendors aren't generally packed very well. Compare prices, but also try to find reviews of the vendor you're considering. We just went through the same process in buying my wife's english horn. There were none of that model available within 2000 miles, so we had to order online and hope for the best. It worked out for us, and I think you'll do OK, too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks very much for the reply.

i am from czech republic (EU). here these yamaha clarinets are quite expensive really. it is better in germany, and of course best in US, althought it is problematic because of the law which forbids the export.

anyway that's why i am thinking about the option to buy it in the webshop.
and i know it is not really good to buy eg. wooden clarinet withou trying and sometimes even combining different peaces. when i was buying my clarinet, one guy from the czech philharmony went to selmer factory and collected the clarinet from different parts even...

but i was thinking it must be mainly matter of wood and while this clarinet is plastic, the different peaces of the same model should sound quite identical, considering the fact that yamaha is really quality and reliable company!

would you agree with that?

·
Registered
601 Posts
Yamaha quality is as good as any manufacturer. It might be the safest brand to buy on the internet. A good plastic instrument is better than a cheap wood one. Wood is no guarantee of quality. I wouldn't recommend trying to combine parts of different instruments, even if a factory would allow it. The parts of a Yamaha instrument are as identical as it's possible to make them within price restraints. I don't know how much Yamaha costs where you are. You might be able to get the Buffet intermediate model for near the cost of a Yamaha. That's a nice, WOOD, instrument.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,081 Posts
thanks very much for the reply.

i am from czech republic (EU). here these yamaha clarinets are quite expensive really. it is better in germany, and of course best in US, althought it is problematic because of the law which forbids the export.
anyway that's why i am thinking about the option to buy it in the webshop.
From own experience, eg. Thomann is very good at packaging and shipping; I don't think many (local) dealers stock more than one of those not-quite-mainstream instruments anyway, so the argument of being able to "play several and then choose the best" is moot. And the quality of Yamaha is very consistent, and I too think you have less variation within the range of plastic instruments than with wooden ones.
(FWIW I ordered my Jupiter 675 bass from there - at roughly half the price I'd have had to pay locally...but otherwise no affiliation with T.)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts