Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for a Yamaha ybs-62 baritone saxophone. Some time I was in doubt about buying new of (slightly used). New would give me the treat of having a shiny horn with new pads and garanty. I came across a gently used 6 year old horn which costs me 45% less than a new one. I chose to go for this slightly used Horn. It is a bit of a guess because I was not able to play test it and it will be shipped to me but the seller is legit and the pictures are clear. Those ybs-62 dont come for sale in the vincinity of the place I live and dont come cheap second hand.
My guess is that with a setup of my local tech which won’t cost a leg, buying a (slightly) used new instrument is the way to go. I am curious about your opinions/ esperiences.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
It's anyone's own money, so they can do as they please. I don't have an opinion on that really.

Personally I like vintage instruments (my favourite clarinet is from 1962; older than I am myself) but they come at a cost; bore designs and tolerances really have improved over time. OTOH, some vintage instruments just play beautifully.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,458 Posts
I don’t see the advantages of a new instrument over a secondhand one.

Most of the depreciation is always for the first owner of anything but, whilst for a car there is a correlation between a less than new product ( since the foreseeable, useful and problem free life, of a new car is longer than the one of a secondhand one) and its price, this is almost certainly not there with musical instruments.

I would certainly buy secondhand, and looking carefully, I am sure that I could spend even less than 50% off the price (but I have to take into account that It may take a long time to look for what I want).

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Me neither (same with cameras and lenses, for instance), but I can think of enough reasons for why someone would prefer new.

And fortunately there are enough people who like to buy new things and sell them later; otherwise the second hand market would dry up quickly!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Most of the depreciation is always for the first owner of anything but whilst for a car there is a correlation between a less than new product ( since the foreseeable, useful and problem free life, of a new car is longer than the one of a secondhand one) and its price, this is almost certainly not there with musical instruments.

I would certainly buy secondhand, and looking carefully, I am sure that I could spend even less than 50% off the price (but I have to take into account that It may take a long time to look for what I want).

Good luck!
Thanks for your opinion. Well it was exactly 50 procent less than the new price but I have to pay for insured transport, Paypal fees and I ll have to bring it to my tech for a setup. And I will get some accesoires with it. And yes... I didnt want to wait :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,274 Posts
If you are buying quality (which you are), Id go for nice used or vintage rebuilt everyday of the week.

Its not like the keys are going to bend or fall off of a Yamaha.

Let someone else take the hit. Plus you dont have to feel bad putting the 8th scratch on a horn vs the first!

45 percent is a nice savings any day.

Just a reminder...make sure you get insurance on good instruments.

If you are using them professionally they wont fall under home owners...well, somethings might if you skirt the truth. If it disappears at a gig that will be hard to expalin!

I had state farm in the US. I didnt gig with my horn so it was covered my home owners. I had a special rider on my insurance that would even pay for repair if I damaged the horn. I think it was about 35 per year.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Wait wait ... you are not looking for confirmation that you made the right choice, I hope? Don't do that! When you made a choice, and you like the instrument, be satisfied with that. If you keep doubting, you will always find a reason to wonder whether you should have bought new or not.

·
13,274 Posts
If in doubt, take it to a tech. Unless you bought it setup from a good dealer you might want to have it checked for leaks anyway. Bari takes enough air without leaks!
It sounds like its in nice shape. Accidents aside and with a some love from a good tech, it will probably out live you.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,006 Posts
My own scheme is to compare the best new price I can find (assuming current production or recent) to the best used price plus the cost of a rebuild, which on baritone is pushing $2000. A really good deal is a good sax, overhaul and everything else at 50% of the new price. It may not need a rebuild right now but it will, and long before a new one would need it. However, you have to judge each deal on its own merits because there are a lot of variables, and if your horn turns out to be a good one, I think you did a good deal.

·
13,274 Posts
Very true, if a guy gigs a lot on a 6 year old bari it may be need some help.

If he just practices and occasionally doubles on baritone (assuming they are original pads) it may have quite a bit of life left in them.

The best scenario is when someone buys something, thinks they are going to use it a lot and dont...then you get the real deals.

Impulse buyers can be great sellers!

·
Registered
108 Posts
I gave this topic quite a bit of thought in the last year. I bought four brand new saxophones, including a Yamaha YBS 62. I think the main disadvantage of a new saxophone is the absolutely ridiculous mark up of buying retail. This is where the 50% savings is seen in used versus new.

Once you decide to buy online or outside the United States, the savings on a used instrument is dimished. The advantage of a new instrument is exactly akin to buying a new versus used vehicle: there is no wear and tear on the saxophone and it's under some form of a warranty.

I think buying vintage saxophones is something entirely different than buying used modern saxophones, as the former simply aren't available new and there is tremendous variability in condition.

·
Registered
YTS-82Z, B-992, ‘Crat 1 alto
1,182 Posts
If we all exclusively bought used saxes, we’d probably eventually run out of stock, unless everyone kept reselling but even that would only work for so long.

So we should on one level at least appreciate those who do buy new so the rest of us can avoid the immediate depreciation in value that occurs when you drive that new sax out of the showroom.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,046 Posts
The advantage of a new instrument is exactly akin to buying a new versus used vehicle: there is no wear and tear on the saxophone and it's under some form of a warranty.
I am curious to learn about warranty repairs. What does the warranty provide to the average user?

As with so many other products, manufacturing defects - the type covered under warranty - are usually obvious in the first year. After that, arising defects are not due to manufacturing, so there is nothing more gained by being under warranty.

Call me frugal, but I would much rather buy horns in great condition at half price - and have money left over for the enevitable repairs due to wear (not covered under warranty).

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The owner is an amateur and it doesn’t seem to be gigged much. He is selling because of physical problems. I don’t think it will need a repad. Even if it does I can live with that. Although it looks nice, I won’t be the one to make the first scratch on it!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Again, it's not a 50% discount when buying new vs used. It's a 50% price against paying retail at a brick and mortar store. If you were to buy a used sax at a brick and mortar store, there would be less than a 50% price difference compared to new.

There are many saxophone merchants online who sell brand new saxophones at a decent price with less mark up since they aren't maintaining a store with overhead.

·
13,274 Posts
While that is true, the used price generally has to be based on the low end of retail both online and in stores.

That doesnt mean you have to buy used...there is nothing wrong with it. Some people like new and thats cool too.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I agree completely; both buying new and used have advantages and disadvantages. It's up to the buyer to determine what's the right approach.

Having access to a great tech that doesn't charge a lot makes a huge difference in the decision making process.

I've found that the major difference between saxophones comes down to the quality of the setup and how often that setup lasts with use.

If you hold onto the saxophone long term, this factor means a lot. I've found inflation takes care of the rest, as it has only gone up in the US for quite some time. As a result, I sold the saxophone I purchased brand new 15 years ago for more than I paid for it after playing it for 15 years. It wasn't an investment as if I had invested that money in the S&P 500, there would have been more profit.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yeah buying used from a person you can trust is the way to go, especially if you have a good person to make adjustments. I don't even really see why a warranty in this case would sway me. I did buy new once from Washington Music Center and I don't regret because I got a great horn and the experience was amazing (must have play tested 20 horns that day). But, in hindsight, I probably would have looked around in the used market a bit first to potentially save some cash.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,497 Posts
I generally recommend buying used pro horns in excellent condition. These typically provide the best bang for the buck, with the lowest risk. See the above posts for further discussion of this concept.

However, there certainly can be valid reasons for buying a brand-new sax. I tried to categorize them, and elicit comments, here: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...you-buy-a-new-saxophone-instead-of-a-used-one.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts