Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Forum Contributor 2015-2017
Any of those old but not too old Yany tenors are good. T5 or newer i suppose. t500, T800, T880, T900, T901, T990, T991.
they were cheap once, but have gone way up in the last year or two. I have sold off my older ones soO do not currently have one.

Distinguished SOTW Member
I really appreciate the offer, I am a bit uncertain as of now on my options as this is looking to be a birthday present of mine, but I will message you if this ends up being a good option for me.
I really appreciate the offer, I am a bit uncertain as of now on my options as this is looking to be a birthday present of mine, but I will message you if this ends up being a good option for me.
I was actually out looking at some aerial motorcycles. I saw the saxophones (5) and inquired about them. The ownerwill be listing them probably in the next week or so. Meanwhile I told him I would ask around. Early happy birthday.馃巶

Registered
There鈥檚 a t-4 for sale on the San Francisco North Bay Craigslist for $1400. I know nothing about it, but it looks like it has no F#.

Registered
I've been happy with a YTS-52 that I got a few years ago. It's very scratched up lacquer but it came in pretty good playing condition (about $200 to fix a few pads and leaks). It feels comparable to mark VIs I've tried in terms of keywork, and has almost perfect intonation. The only problem is the high notes above Bb or so sound thin and bright, so if you want a darker sound I'd maybe recommend getting something else. I don't know if other YTS-52s have this problem, but it might ruin the horn for some people.

Registered
am looking to buy a quality tenor that will last me a while.
Keep in mind ANY used sax has the potential need of a $800 service until you know better.
I am mainly looking at post 1970s
If you like what you get you are likely going to want to play it more. And the quality of the instrument makes it more fun to play = you want to play it more.

If you definitely want a Yany then get a Yany. There are plenty of folks here with great advice.

FWIW, if you want to avoid surprise costs, there are shops that are reliable. Most good shops will ship, but plenty of folks here can make recommendations near where you live. Out here in northern Colorado it would be something like Sax Alley (I have no financial interest) - some place where you know you are getting exactly what you expect. They have an online list of used horns, prices, and description of the horn. You may pay a bit more up front but it would be unexpected that you would get an expensive surprise with your new horn - if it comes as a known entity from a reliable shop. They do have some tenors around your price range that may or may not be what you are looking for - but worth looking at shops like these with strong reputations.

Just one more option to consider. Probably depends on how much that factors in your thought process.

Enjoy the search. Usually that is part of the fun.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts