Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang, I'm new here. I work on a cruise ship and we are heading to Asia in two weeks for about two months. Me and some of the other musicians are considering buying some new horns while there. Does anyone know whether or not it's true that the cost of buying straight from say the Yanigasawa plant or Yamaha plant the cost would be less? I'm looking to buy a new Yamaha Bari and would love to pay a bit less. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
268 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
It depends on what you want. Do you want a horn that plays well but isn't from a famous international label? If so, Asia can be cheaper. My Heinrich soprano was purchased here (Beijing) for about the same as it costs in Japan (where it's made). The quality is similar to an intermediate Cannonball, and given it only cost me US$200, I'm very happy with it.

Expect to see a lot of brands you don't recognize and some junk horns being passed off as good. If you see a Yamaha, Selmer or Yanagisawa for dramatically less than they cost in the US, it's probably a shoddy counterfeit.

There's a lot of odd brands here that you will not find mentioned anywhere in the forum, even though they are known local sax companies.

I said it in the other thread and I'll say it here. Trust your ear and be skeptical. Anyone can make a great horn or a crap horn regardless of whose label is engraved on the bell. You just have to play it. If you enjoy it and feel the quality is good for the price, then you've gotten a great deal :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist TSGT(Ret)USAF
1,390 Posts
Everything's more expensive in Japan!
They pay About 4 Dollars a gallon for gas!(YEN PER LITER).
I went to Japanese Pawn shops and Music stores all the time, everything was jacked up! WWBW, Musician's Friend, or Music 123, Kessler Winds have the best prices in the world. (I'm only talking about Yamaha and Selmer)
You can get some cheap Chinese horns for great prices though!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey king. Yeah, Japan is pretty expensive, but it'd be hard to imagine the made-in-Japan horns are more expensive than once they get mailed out :) Checking some online sites, my made-in-Japan ones cost the same here in Beijing as they do in Japan, so that seems kind of promising.

Chinese horns are probably cheaper here in China ;)

·
"King In The Castle" & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,664 Posts
It is not cheaper even if you buy it directly from Yanagisawa or Yamaha stores because they still have to keep pretty much the same prices that their authorized dealers sell to customers.

And dealers are the same everywhere: their only goal is to make money; once you walk out of their stores with a horn, that is it! They may not even buy it back for half the price they sell you!

And as someone pointed out earlier, places like Japan, Singapore, Hongkong are expensive, not only for horns, but everything else (thanks God air is still free).

So, my advice to you is to visit some music stores in some countries you land or park while you are in Asia and try to bargain down a second-hand horn.

Or, if you know exactly where you will be in Asia, post an ad looking for some SOTW members in there; hook up and see what horns they have or where to find one!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts