Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been to youtube and listened to some of the demos of Akia (sp), yamaha and roland midi wind controllers. My real fear is that I will pay out $500 and end up with something where every patch sounds like an accordion. What I have is a Block, 40 watt bass amp which is a great sounding little amp. I can play low key jazz trio gigs with it.

What I want it for is to play tuba, trombone, trumpet and clarinet. I don't give a crap about gong sounds or 50 different variations of guitar. Which brands are you guys playing? What's the best choice? If need be, I could buy a 100 watt bass amp. Oh, and I don't really need wireless.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,365 Posts
I'd really not think of these as an electric sax. they're more different from a regular horn than you'd imagine … great bits of kit but really they are their own thing.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,582 Posts
I agree, thinking of wind controllers as electric sax is a red herring, unless we are talking about the Synthophone, which is probably the only true electric saxophone.

With all wind controllers, if you are going to be serious about getting the sounds you really want then using the MIDI connection to hook up to a module or computer DAW with a decent third party library may be the way to go. Even Garageband would probably work well and give you better sounds (VIs = virtual instruments) than many of the on board sounds.

I have had great results from using a humble Casio DH-100 hooked up to Logic Pro with CH Horns and Vienna Instruments as VI sound library.

I can't advise on whether any of the Akai, Roland, or Yamaha will be best for you. You may get the best advice on a wind controller forum.

The main thing to research is that any third party virtual instruments respond to breath control - this is important for any kind of realistic performance if that is what you are after.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,328 Posts
The Synthophone is the only true electric saxophone in as much as the mechanics, soundwise it uses the same sound module (or a modified version thereof) of the Yamaha.

I too owned the Casio (when it hit the market) but they are prone to malfuction at some stage because there is a part which breaks. The black version (the 200) is better.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2019
1,025 Posts
I have the Yamaha wx5/VL70 and the Patchman patches. The sax patches sound like a combination of a harmonica and a cheap Farfisa organ, but the tuba, trombone, trumpet and clarinet patches are surprisingly good. I used the trumpet and flugelhorn patches in a former band and mixed in with the rest of the band, they can pass pretty well. The clarinet and flute patches are also realistic. I never did find a use for the patches that have no analog in the natural world. And if you ever need it, the bass patches were pretty good as well. There is one guitar patch I like, and which must be pretty good as the guitarist in my band forbid me to use it after I pulled it out one night for a solo. As he said to me, "Guitar is my gig."

1 - 7 of 7 Posts