Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's gold laquered and the moving part isn't. I didn't think to take a picture when I viewed it but it looked like a yas-23 neck. He said he didn't know if it was original. So did yamaha make such necks with the 61? I know they usually had a red, brown or purple logo and the moving part was also gold laquered.

If not how much does this affect it's resale value?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
If it was a genuine 61 neck it would have a purple Yamaha badge on the octave mechanism.

Sometimes people like to do some custom stuff to their horns too. But this sounds like a YAS-23 neck by your description.

Heck, if it plays well enough maybe that could be a factor when you're potentially negotiating on the price. Or perhaps why it might be a good price to begin with.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I see thank you both. Its a great deal if it was all original. It's just been overhauled and plays great but it's definitely a yas23 neck. Asking price is 1500 with new protec case and ottink true tone hard rubber mpc. How much is the original neck worth then?

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Don't worry about necks on 61's. Any Yamaha 'custom' neck or Selmer (Paris) necks are compatible. I used a G3 and a Selmer 'serie111' neck on my YTS61 for years. Original 61 necks are the same acoustically a s the later original 62 necks BTW.

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
It's gold laquered and the moving part isn't. I didn't think to take a picture when I viewed it but it looked like a yas-23 neck. He said he didn't know if it was original. So did yamaha make such necks with the 61? I know they usually had a red, brown or purple logo and the moving part was also gold laquered.

If not how much does this affect it's resale value?
Good catch. I've noticed more auctions for horns with replacement necks, but no mention in the description. OEM necks on older horns are very hard to come by if you want an original, and cost a good bit. Its ok as long as its discounted accordingly. Look out for mr. sneaky pants...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts