Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I am planning to upgrade the alto saxophone for my son that will last him through high school and college. We are not sure which one is better between yamaha YAS 575 allegro $1750 and yamaha YAS 480 $2200? I could not find much info about the YAS 575, the seller of YAS 575 told me it is upgraded version of the intermediate level and it is closer to the first pro leve YAS 62, it has a G1 neck, not sure if it is like YAS 62. And the seller of YAS 480 told me it is intermediate level and the neck has the YAS 62 design. Is YAS 575 better choice than YAS 480?

Thanks in advance!

Garden Lilly

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Why not just get a YAS 62?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I agree. Yamaha seems to have a model to address every possible niche in the market. They are like automobile makers . . .

However, my experiences in shopping for Yamaha altos was not good in that their playability varied widely and that was probably because they all needed a good dealer set-up - and that varied greatly as well.

When I shopped for a new Yanagisawa alto, the dealer took one from his warehouse, unpacked it, ran a heat gun throught it briefly to warm it up, then handed it to me. It played great right out of the shipping carton.

Back to Yamaha, I wouldn’t worry too much about the model designation because of the variances horn-to-horn (meaning you may find a “lower” model that plays better than a “ higher” model). I’d concentrate on finding one that plays good regardless of what they call it. Oh, it can be done but I would not rely solely on model names. DAVE

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, YAS 62 is professional level and it is too much as it is about $3000, my son likes to play saxophone but I do not think he will major in it in college but will keep playing it as enjoyment.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
Of course afforability is important. But if you can go $2200, I suspect there are several choices you and he could make that would result in something MUCH better than a Yamaha whatever-they-call-it.

Does the alto-upgrade have to be new? Do either you know much about saxophones orher than to play them? If so, I’d advise you to widen the target. DAVE

·
Registered
44 Posts
Back to Yamaha, I wouldn’t worry too much about the model designation because of the variances horn-to-horn (meaning you may find a “lower” model that plays better than a “ higher” model). I’d concentrate on finding one that plays good regardless of what they call it. Oh, it can be done but I would not rely solely on model names. DAVE[/QUOTE]

I agree with Dave's statement. I recently played a 480 and 62 alto at a local store and the 480 played MUCH better than the "professional" 62! This was a one sample of each playtest, however Dave's advice was spot-on in this case. The 480 had good intonation and sounded fine for an alto :whistle:

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You will definitely get more for your money if you buy used. You should be able to find a Yamaha YAS-62 for somewhere around $2000. Assuming the horn hasn't been abused and there's still life in the pads, budget in a couple hundred for a tune-up and some minor repairs, and your son would have a professional-level horn that he could play for the rest of his life. You might also want to look at some other brands, such as Yanagisawa to expand your options.

Depending on what he's already playing, the other horns you're looking at might not really be all that much of an upgrade.

·
Registered
244 Posts
The info you received is correct; the 575 (Allegro) is an upper-intermediate model that has been succeeded by the 580, hence the relatively good price you've been quoted (assuming it's new.). Very nice horn, and not too far from being a 62, for well over $1000 less. My daughter had one for a while and it served her well...would easily last your kid through college. The 480 is the current intermediate. If you want a brand new sax for your son, than I think the 575 is a better deal.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Well, YAS 62 is professional level and it is too much as it is about $3000, my son likes to play saxophone but I do not think he will major in it in college but will keep playing it as enjoyment.
"Student" "intermediate" and "professional" are marketing terms that were created to sell three horns to students as they progress in skill. With a budget of $2200, you can afford a wide range of used professional horns, which simply means top of the line in a particular brand. I would always recommend a used professional model over a new intermediate one. You get a better playing instrument with less depreciation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts