Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I've recently been thinking about upgrading to a new tenor saxophone, and I've been looking for a while. I've come across a Selmer Series II Super Action 80, with black lacquer. It is in very good condition and it costs $3500. Is this a good price or should I hold off for a while? Maybe some other suggestions?

Ryan

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,707 Posts
I play a Selmer but there are a lot of other horns I like that are of equal quality.

...is there a reason for this choice?

Have you played it

If you are going to spend that kind of cash you should play as many horns as you can get your hands on.

If then you chose Selmer it will be an informed choice.

...my hunch is that if you dont even know the right price range your research is lacking.

No offense intended at all...its just the impression your post leaves. There are so many great horns with different color palates...it seems a thorough investigation is in order.

·
Registered
5,241 Posts
Is it a Jubilee model, or a pre-Jubilee? And does "very good condition" mean you've confirmed that minor any shop work to make it optimally playable will be < $75, or does it mean that the sax looks cosmetically very nice?

If the horn is a Jubilee, the price is OK. If it's a pre-Jubilee, I think the price is a little high. But either way, you may be able to bargain for an additional discount.

Either way, I assume you've either played this horn or have confirmed previously that you like the Series II tenor.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,962 Posts
Always good idea to take a look at recently ended auctions on eBay when trying to figure market value....remembering to check the descriptions to determine whether horn is in good playing and physical shape or not:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nk...sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=200&LH_Complete=1&_fosrp=1

$3500 budget for a used Tenor can get you, quite honestly, pretty much almost anything. You said you have been looking for a while. Are there other models on your short list ? As already queried, what has made you come to an SA 80 ???

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
I play a Selmer but there are a lot of other horns I like that are of equal quality.

...is there a reason for this choice?

Have you played it

If you are going to spend that kind of cash you should play as many horns as you can get your hands on.

If then you chose Selmer it will be an informed choice.

...my hunch is that if you dont even know the right price range your research is lacking.

No offense intended at all...its just the impression your post leaves. There are so many great horns with different color palates...it seems a thorough investigation is in order.
The OP doesn’t yet have access to the Marketplace - new member with fewer than 6 months and 50 posts. It’s hard to do the research when the source is closed. Yes, fleaBay is another source, but black Serie II tenors are not all that common.

It does seem a lot of money for what I perceive as Selmer’s least popular tenor (Serie II), but it is a cool finish - and Turrentine did OK on his.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts