Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All

I'm an Alto player looking to play Tenor. and haven't owned one since the late 80s ..I've seen a PM Swing 55JX tenor at a good price, or I hope it is at £1200 !!! including a TW Datta Metal MP in with the Deal....I'll be playing in a RnB Soul Blues band...

I know a fair bit about 66r /67r and 76 models but I need a little bit of background on this model ...I was told it preceded the 66r as there top model ,But I don't know enough about P.Mauriat other than trying an Alto 67 RUL. I liked it But stayed with my old SA 80 mk1 . I can't find enough information on the Swing 55 JX Tenor to make an informed choice...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
I've got an old Mauriat catalogue - no date on it that I can see but I would guess about ten years old. Anyway it includes the following text about the Swing 55JX:

Swing 55 JX The intriguing exterior of this saxophone gives way to an even more vivid sound. The yellow brass used for the bell contains 3% silver that gives the sound some pop. This paired with the bronze brass body and neck combine to create a clean, but complex tone. The Swing 55 is designed to produce a strong, tight sound that retains all of the richness of a P. Mauriat Saxophone.

Alto & Tenor
  • Range: High F#
  • Neck: Super VI
  • Material: Yellow Brass (3% Silver) Bell/Bronze Bow, Body, Neck
  • Finish: Matte Finish
  • Key Touches: Genuine Abalone
  • Professional Class

The same page of the catalogue shows the Swing 55 model tenor and alto which are the same except that they use Yellow Brass (3% Silver) throughout.

They look nice but I have no experience of how they play or sound.

Rhys

PS The same catalogue includes the System 76 2nd Edition, PMXA-67R, PMXT-66R, PMXT-66RUL, PMxt-66RX, 500BX (Black Pearl), 60NS (Nickel Silver) and some other models, so the Swing 55 was around at the same time as these.

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
You obviously really want to play the horn if at all possible before committing but if it and the mouthpiece are in good condition it sounds like a pretty good deal and a ready-made setup for the type of playing you want to do. The Swing 55 came a few years after the 66R, at least here in the US and seemed to be marketed as a horn that had a big broad sound but a bit brighter than the 66R. I've only played one of these (Swing 55) once for just a few minutes but that was the impression I came away with. Playing a single example of an instrument once for just a few minutes does not a trend make but that's what I have to offer. Visually it's a very striking instrument because there's really nothing else that looks like it. The mixed-metal Yani horns are probably the closest but those are shiny where the Mauriat is a mat finish. If you like the aesthetics of the copper and champagne combo mat finish and you like the 66R but wouldn't mind if it was a bit brighter you'll probably like the Swing 55.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,006 Posts
I found an old Sax.co.uk catalogue with a pricelist from March 2008. Although it doesn't include the Swing 55JX, it does have the Swing 55 and the prices for all the P Mauriat tenor saxes offered at that time were:
  • Swing 55: £1,799
  • 60-NS £1,999
  • 66R £1,999
  • 66RUL £2,199
  • System 76 £1,799
  • 500BX £1,999
  • 66RG ££2,199
  • 66R Influence £2,199

Rhys

1 - 4 of 4 Posts