Sax on the Web Forum banner

Buying a saxophone down under

7K views 23 replies 13 participants last post by  Secondhandsaxes 
#1 ·
M thinking of ordering a saxophone from "sax and woodwind" in Australia. I'll be ordering the gown online and have it shipped to Israel, so just want to know if anyone down there can recommend the place.

Thanks

#2 ·
The guys there are super nice but prices here in OZ are ridiculously inflated. if you are going to Israel, and stopping anywhere else in the world along the way, I'd be looking to see if I couldn't get the same horn for 2/3 or even 1/2 the price you'll pay here. Also, you don't really want to ship a horn via Aussie Post do you???

#3 ·
I know nothing about this shop, but I can second Dog Pants's views on saxophone prices in Australia. I am therefore quite amazed that you are persuaded that you have found a buy worth exporting to Israel. Many of us in Australia look at the US market as a place where there is always an excellent choice at competitive prices.

#4 ·
By your post I assume you are in Israel and you are going to order a sax from Australia, right? I couldn't understand from your post you are going to Israel and stopping anywhere... are you? I just checked prices in that store and it seems that, local economics aside, it's one of the few places with prices actually more expensive than Israel (or about the same). Of course once you consider local econimocs it's a different story, but that doesn't matter if you are ordering. Unless there is a specific reason you want to order from that website, I'd look into stores in USA, UK, Germany, etc. though this also depends on what saxophone you want. Some actually are not so different in price in different countries.

By the way, maybe you already know this, but FWIW: Prices in most places are usually advertised inlcuding VAT. Prices in Israel are also usually advertised with VAT included. Prices in USA are usually advertised without sales tax (their equivalent of VAT). If you are ordering, make sure to notice if the price includes VAT (sales tax) or not. You should get the price without VAT if you order from Israel. Then you pay the local VAT when it arrives to Israel.

#5 ·
I finally got the quote from the store down under, and I see what you say about the price. Insane, really.

Problem is, they have the last available Liebman soprano on sale. Anywhere. That's how I got in touch with them. I have a personal interest in getting that particular model soprano, and they are the only ones who have one for sale.

The price, however, was a deal killer for me. They want just over $6,000 (USD)... Plus shipping, plus VAT here when it comes in to Israel... Too much.

#9 ·
Strange that an Australian store would have the best worldwide price but hey, anything's possible! ;)

If it's 'Sax, Woodwind & Brass' in Camperdown, Sydney they are possibly the best woodwind store in Australia IMO. I bought a Yamaha 275 there at a great deal, checked by the tech given excellent first horn accessories advice and left very happy. I buy most accessories still from them regularly.

If that's the store in question and they have the best deal for the horn you want GO FOR IT! :)

Sent from my Xperia

#10 ·
I'll second the Ozwinds stores. I bought my Selmer Series II from the Melbourne store and couldn't be happier! All the staff were insanely helpful and nothing was too much trouble plus when the sax arrived it was in perfect adjustment ready to gig!

#12 ·
Whoops my apologies! :)

#14 ·
I thought that was a little strange as well!

#15 ·
Gee, it has been a few years since I've bought a new instrument from an Australian store. When the dollar was low I was told that was why the prices were high. Now that the AUD is strong, the prices have remained too high for me.

The US, on the other hand, seems awash with bargains in the vintage and used area. Asia has the bargains for new instruments.

#20 ·
If only I had the money for another tenor..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.