Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

How would a person go about buying a cheaper piccolo to learn on and for use in doubling shows? All the piccolos I've seen online are new at $750+ and I haven't been able to find any good used piccolos for sale for <$350

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,870 Posts
With patience and knowledge you can buy a secondhand instrument and do not spend a great deal of money.

I have bought several in the NL one of the best buys was a Nikkan Gakki ( the company that later on split into Yamaha and Yanagisawa) which I then sold to a Dutch member.

As far as buying a new cheap piccolo apparently Bruce Bailey ( one of the most knowledgeable members of this community when it comes to flutes) has said good words about the ebonite Chinese piccolo.

Her has also bought, modified and sold some in the past.

If I were you I would get in touch with him.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/member.php?12999-bruce-bailey

This is you first post here, but I would recommend a search action before you post.

THIS thread is about Cheapish piccolos and has all the answers to your query

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?162033-Which-(cheapish)-Piccolo

this one too

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?38043-Need-advice-for-buying-a-piccolo

Happy reading

·
Registered
350 Posts
There's a Facebook Group "Flutes for Sale" that I would check out. There have been some really nice piccolos for decent prices. Also, a YouTuber, JustAnotherFlutist just did a video on piccolos under $1000. I know it's above your price range brand new, but she goes into a little detail about how each piccolo likes to be played. She tried a Jupiter, DiZhao and a Gemeinhardt. The Piccolo I think ended up being around $600-700.

Decent piccolos are going to cost a little money. I would suggest doing some research in some reputable instruments, and keep an eye out for them on eBay and the classified ads. You might find a gem for under budget.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,160 Posts
Used Yamaha 32 piccolos are usually under $500.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,033 Posts
The ones from China with the plastic heads are quite good for under $200 but may need adjusting. They play VERY well.
I would advise finding a good Gemeinhardt 4P or variant and keep that one. They play as well as the high end models but don't quite have the depth of sound. I have some of the US made wood pics. but with new pads about $700.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
are there any specific brands I should be leaning towards to and ones that I should avoid for the chinese made piccolos?

·
Registered
564 Posts
are there any specific brands I should be leaning towards to and ones that I should avoid for the chinese made piccolos?
I can get you a nice piccolo from the Longkou Jinming factory, one of the best flute manufacturers in China. Send me a PM if interested.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts