Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello all. i might be able to get a new horn. i was thinking about getting either a cannonball vintage reborn alto or soprano. i currently play alto with a selmer c* and a 4 reed. how much trouble do you think switching to soprano would give me?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
I don't know what a "reborn" Cannonball is, but a few years ago at the NAMM Show, I played a new Cannonball Vintage alto. VERY nice. One that I would consider buying if I ever saw one in a store and could re-confirm my first experience.

I agree with saxmusicguy, your switch (maybe "addition" would be a better word) to soprano depends on factors we know nothing about. But many have done it and probably you can, too. DAVE

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thank you both. i've played alto for 6 years now, and this past year i also played bari. i probably will play test a soprano in a music shop before i decide to buy one, if i do

·
14,268 Posts
If you have never played a soprano before OR if you don't have a good soprano mouthpiece, maybe you should consider taking along an experienced soprano player. While there is nothing wrong with you giving it your first try in a store (and you should play it yourself), a more experienced player may be able to assess the horn's playability better than you. You don't say where you live, but I've met other SOTW members and assisted them with their purchases. Just a suggestion . . . DAVE

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
If you're a student and your school owns a soprano, I'd recommend starting on that. Learn the horn first, then you can buy a nice soprano someday down the road.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've never played soprano before, but i'm interested in switching to it. i have read a review on the line and it said that the soprano played very well. i am more concerned with how difficult it would be from me to switch from alto to soprano. i will probably end up getting the alto, since from what i've read it would take quite a while to be able to get good intonation on soprano.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,205 Posts
Just a suggestion from an old private woodwind instructor...
Before you get serious about getting a soprano, learn the clarinet.
When you've learned to control that little beast you'll be ready to take on the soprano sax. :bluewink:

·
Non Resident SOTW Eccentric & 2012 Forum Contribut
3,259 Posts
Not all horns of the same make play the same. Sop's particularly IMO. Good advice to get someone experienced with sop to test. Could save some aggro and $$$ in setup

·
14,268 Posts
I totally agree with Jazzaferri - you could play two examples of one model and find two completely different instruments. I've experienced that many times. DAVE

1 - 10 of 10 Posts