Sax on the Web Forum banner

Buying a Bauhaus Walstein in China

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  twocircles 
#1 ·
Hi All,

I'm currently located in Xian, Shaanxi, China. I'll be here for a while, and don't want to go without a saxophone, so I'm hoping to buy one while I'm here (I was thinking about renting one, but it's proving a little difficult to find someone willing to rent one to me). I've heard a lot of good things about Bauhaus Walstein saxes, and as they are made in China, I'm hoping I can find one here. However, the only dealers I've found online are from the UK and US, and the few music stores don't seem to know anything about Bauhaus Walstein (most of what they sell is JinYin saxes). Anyways, I was wondering if anyone knew anything that could help me, like a contact for Bauhaus Walstein here in China.

Kacker

#5 ·
Kacker, You are aware that Bauhaus Walstein is the name of the English company which imports from China and Taiwan saxophones branded under their own name ( nothing wrong with that, I have one, so I obviously like it).

I hope that they have their own Chinese Shop where BW made in China and that have never left the country are stored and sold as they come out of the factory there ( for the simple reason that the carbon footprint of a saxophone coming from China, going to the UK, then being re-sent to China would be ludicrous, not to mention the import fees and transport costs paid two ways...).

If that is the case I wonder how they manage to do the check up which they perform in the UK (I have such a horn and it comes with a card signed by the BW technician who has done that) and that, to me, was one of the most important marketing instruments for BW (I bought mine BECAUSE of this! I could have bought for less all manners of other saxophones since I worked in the industry at the time! ). If they aren’t checked by the UK tech what makes them any special compared to another horn?

Mind you, about stupid carbon footprint, I once was in a Dutch shop and they were shipping a flute , they had sold it to a Chinese customer a Chinese made flute. A flute which was sold by an American company which imported them tho the USA then sold them around the world.

The flute had gone from China to the USA, then to the NL ( to this shop) and then back to China where it started its life, sold to a customer who wanted the “ American” Chinese made flute.

Anyway, as you probably know, Chinese saxophones are not particularly plentiful or cheap in China. I know that too because when I was in China I had problems to find a wide range of saxophones in the shops both Beijing and Shanghai and they were not even particularly cheap in the shops.

So, if BW no longer has an outlet in China maybe you may consider Aliexpress ( or the local Chinese on line shops owned by this and other companies).

#6 ·
Kacker,
If you are able to travel, there are number of good manufacturers in Longkou, Shandong and the surrounding area. Several have factory stores. Do some homework, and make contact with someone before you go.

Whatever you get, plan to have a sax tech check it out when you get home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.