Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am considering buying a bari mostly for doubling (big bands, horn section etc).

I spotted this on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/140783828339?_trksid=p5197.c0.m619

Can anyone give me any advice as to whether this is a good buy? Is it a fair price? I live in the UK so I would have to have it shipped which would add another £120 in shipping, and obviously returning it if there was anything wrong would be a pain. I have not bought an instrument on ebay before, I have bought mouthpieces but nothing as expensive, large or delicate as a baritone sax.

Do you think that is a fair asking price? That is the top end of my budget sadly. The other option I have considered is buying a John Packer or Gear4Music baritone (ultra cheap chinese horns).

Any advice?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I was living in Scotland not too long go and was able to buy a slightly younger (1960) 12M from pmwoodwind in the US and have it shipped to me for less than the current price of that bari. Customs in the UK wasn't cheap, but it still came to less than the bari you are looking at for a horn that was set up by a professional repair technician. Use the exchange rate to your advantage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
19,007 Posts
I always question why a 'professional luthier' would be the appropriate person to bring a saxophone to for servicing (unless the term has a wider meaning on that side of the pond than it does here). BUT, let's say it is serviced and playing well....it isn't a bad deal, and these are good horns. For some reason people think the later Artist series Conns took some sort of quality dive....but that has no basis in reality. I have overhauled over 25 Artist series horns from the '30's-late '60's, and they are one of the most consistent models of horn ever produced.

It is not a 'steal' of a price, but as I said, if it is in good playing and physical shape (both upper and lower bows are not significantly dented, toneholes and keywork are in good shape, and the body tube is not bent or curved), it is a fair price to pay for one.

The only other question worth asking is whether the horn has been delacquered...kinda hard to tell from the pics. If it has no remaining lacquer....i.e. less than 33%....they should knock off another 75 pounds, really.....

·
19,007 Posts
I was living in Scotland not too long go and was able to buy a slightly younger (1960) 12M from pmwoodwind in the US and have it shipped to me for less than the current price of that bari. Customs in the UK wasn't cheap, but it still came to less than the bari you are looking at for a horn that was set up by a professional repair technician. Use the exchange rate to your advantage.
Maybe yes, maybe no. That is a GOOD case included with the auction horn, and sending something as large as a Baritone overseas is always a bit riskier than a smaller instrument.

I do agree with you in that...if you really wanted to squeeze the market...you could probably find a good vintage Baritone plus case for less than 1400pounds (by a good 150-200 pounds) and maybe customs VAT wouldn't nail you too badly...heck, I could probably whip up a deal on a good horn shipped for around $2000usd....

....but the question was whether this particular 12M seemed like a decently priced option. I still say it's not a bad deal.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
I still say it's not a bad deal.[/COLOR]
Yes it could be OK. Especially if it was refretted :)

I think it would be OK if it is in good condition, but there is little in the ad to give much confidence in its condition. Bit of a gamble really.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies, sounds like I should wait to find something that's a bit more of a known quantity for that price, if it really was a great bargain I might be tempted to take a gamble but not if it's sight unseen.

Any thoughts on the other alternative I mentioned at the top? I have searched the forums and read generally fairly positive things about the ultra cheap chinese horns, good for the money at least. For someone who isn't likely to play a great deal of baritone, just wants to have one around for flexibilty and employability do you think an old horn like the conn or a new supercheap horn is the best option? One positive for the newer horns is they have the low A... But I'm guessing sound-wise they are no competition for a vintage pro horn... right?

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Maybe yes, maybe no. That is a GOOD case included with the auction horn, and sending something as large as a Baritone overseas is always a bit riskier than a smaller instrument.

I do agree with you in that...if you really wanted to squeeze the market...you could probably find a good vintage Baritone plus case for less than 1400pounds (by a good 150-200 pounds) and maybe customs VAT wouldn't nail you too badly...heck, I could probably whip up a deal on a good horn shipped for around $2000usd....

....but the question was whether this particular 12M seemed like a decently priced option. I still say it's not a bad deal.
I guess I should add that my 12M came with the exact same protec bari case.

·
19,007 Posts
Then you got a particularly good deal.... but just because someone gets a good eal doesn't mean that identical deals don't repeat themselves, nor does it mean that someone's great deal suddenly becomes current market value....(if that were true, I'd be sleeping in the street right now).

OP asked if it was a good horn and worth the $. I replied yes it's worth it of there are no issues.

But now I notice the description read 'natural unlacquered'. I hope the Luthier didn't do that. So, indeed it's about $200 or more overpriced...

If it had had original lacquer left, and it's a fairly quick and safe ship to him, it'd be money well-spent. But as Pete says, there is some info absent from the seller which needs to be present. Not hard to just ask a few questions, really....

Looks like the auction ended with no buyer, so maybe seller can be convinced to relist for less....

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.