Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:headbang:

What a great city. The food and people are just amazing. Visited Sound Elegance (fuga) first.

Honestly not at all impressed.

Some nice horns including a SBA tenor in a beautiful dark honey original appearing finish.

Not at all friendly. I was ready to buy some reeds etc. but they couldn’t be bothered to even acknowledge my presence.

Next stop some decent kaiten sushi - chu-toro, ikura, uni, hamachi and salmon. Tons of places to eat all over Tokyo and I’ve yet to find anything sub par.

Walked to the Ishimori shop. Maybe 10 mins away. Would have been impossible to find without friendly locals.

180 degrees from the previous store. Super friendly. I tried both the vintage alto and tenor.

I’ve been a Selmer tenor guy 155xxx VI and SA80III and Yamaha / Selmer 62S, VI and SBA alto guy for decades. I’ve never played an Asian horn other than Yamaha and Yanagisawa.

Truthfully I’m going to visit a tech for checkups on my main axes when I get home because the Ishimoris were both *so* good that my horns felt downright unresponsive in comparison. Especially true in the low C, B and Bb.

Tried the no F# alto and the tenor with F#. Both of them were even in scale and darker sounding than my horns. Altissimo was a breeze on both.

On my Selmer tenors I’ve resorted to lowering the action on the front F key to help facilitate a reliable G. Not necessary on either of the Ishimori horns. Split tone altissimo alto notes were ridiculously easy.

They both seemed lighter in weight than my Yamaha and Selmers.

I can see why the Ishimoris are popular now. Not sure I’m super excited about paying roughly $4K for a horn with Taiwanese roots but I’d definitely consider it. That would have never been even a possibility prior to today.

Picked up a few boxes of reeds and mouthpieces patches along with some literature and a really great impression. I was already favorably predisposed towards the brand as I play an Ishimori mouthpiece and ligature.

View attachment 215776

View attachment 215778

There was a fella with what sounded like an Aussie accent playing tenor trying the silver neck screw. He swore it made a difference. I didn’t try one (and am skeptical to be candid) but I cannot dispute his finding without trying them myself.

On the overall - highly recommended.

View attachment 215780

View attachment 215782

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,073 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good experience with them! I've been playing a Yamaha 82z tenor for over ten years and I still absolutely love it, but two years ago at NAMM I hung out with the Ishimori guys and tried several of their instruments. They were absolutely amazing, some of the best I've ever played, and honestly the first I had ever tried that made me consider switching since I got my 82. Good mouthpieces, too, they're doing some great stuff in that company, and like you said they're all very nice people. I hope I get to visit their Tokyo shop one of these days as well!

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can say without a doubt that was one of my best visits to a music store ever. Was prepared for the horns to be good. Not expecting them to be awesome. They also fit where I am trying to take my sound. Darker then the 62 alto and SerieIII tenor. It’s going to hard to resist.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
Shouldn't https://www.wood-stone.jp/ be in the Misc horn manufactures ? I didn't see it

also I hear the horn plays like a Selmer . Does it feel like a Selmer? All the new saxes I play are very heavy.

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
Truthfully I’m going to visit a tech for checkups on my main axes when I get home because the Ishimoris were both *so* good that my horns felt downright unresponsive in comparison. Especially true in the low C, B and Bb.
It's the phenomenal setup of the saxophones. I've had my SBA overhauled there, and it's amazing all around. Plays much easier in lower registers, pitch improved.

Sound Fuga has some interesting saxes but everything is overpriced. Kinda snooty too when you're trying to sell something to them. Not mean, but just not welcoming. In the Okubo/Shinokubo area I highly recommend Music Life Tao--small shop but very friendly.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shouldn't https://www.wood-stone.jp/ be in the Misc horn manufactures ? I didn't see it

also I hear the horn plays like a Selmer . Does it feel like a Selmer? All the new saxes I play are very heavy.
You would love the Ishimori if light is what you are after. I have an SBA alto. Feel under the fingers is very similar.

Purely subjectively the Ishimori seemed a little darker and spread. My SBA seems to be a bit more centered/focus.

Both the alto and tenor feel incredibly light.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's the phenomenal setup of the saxophones. I've had my SBA overhauled there, and it's amazing all around. Plays much easier in lower registers, pitch improved.

Sound Fuga has some interesting saxes but everything is overpriced. Kinda snooty too when you're trying to sell something to them. Not mean, but just not welcoming. In the Okubo/Shinokubo area I highly recommend Music Life Tao--small shop but very friendly.
I agree with you on the setup. Kind of a light, delicate action with a very easy low end response.

Snooty is putting it nicely regarding Sound Fuga. Have you been to Wind Bros? Looks interesting. If I go back to Ishimori I might not be able to resist a souvenir:)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2008
1,497 Posts
You would love the Ishimori if light is what you are after. I have an SBA alto. Feel under the fingers is very similar.

Purely subjectively the Ishimori seemed a little darker and spread. My SBA seems to be a bit more centered/focus.

Both the alto and tenor feel incredibly light.
Thank you Liggy
I contacted the website and evidently there is a person in LA that may have one (or two I hope) to try . I'm not sure if they are a dealer ?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thank you Liggy
I contacted the website and evidently there is a person in LA that may have one (or two I hope) to try . I'm not sure if they are a dealer ?
My pleasure. If they have any like what I played in Tokyo I know you’ll be pleased.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts