·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,844 Posts
Rest In Peace.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,416 Posts
I bought a brand new 1976 Pontiac Trans Am in December '75. Actually, I had ordered it in October. 400, 4-spd and 4-barrel carb. Posi-Trac, AC, optional interior, 8-track player, the whole works. Sterling Silver with Firethorn Red interior and NO SCREAMING CHICKEN on the hood. I put 60,000 miles on it in two years playing in a hot regional act. Darn thing got wrecked out from under me one Monday morning at 5:30 am coming home from a Sunday night gig in the next state. This was right about the time the original 'Smokey and the Bandit' came out and I still miss that car to this day. Funny - I actually dreamed about it night before last. You see, I love cars and watch all those restoring/overhauling shows. In my dream I found my car in somebody's barn, still wrecked, and I had it fixed up. Even if that were possible, it wouldn't be feasible for me, but whenever a chance comes up to enter a raffle for a 'Bandit' car, I enter it. :)

Burt Reynolds was a cool customer and nobody else will ever have his combination of talent, humor and down-to-earth 'badassness'.

·
14,268 Posts
I met Burt Reynolds once in the early 1970's. He was shooting a film and our police building was being used in the scenes . . . the old Georgia Street Receiving Hospital at 1335 South Georgia Street, just south of Pico Blvd. in Los Angeles. It is long gone now, gobbled up by the downtown entertainment area.

In that era, the building had been turned into a police office building (not a geographic station house) after the receiving hospital had been relocated somewhere else. Several different LAPD divisions were housed there, mine being Metropolitan Division (the city's Crime Task Force and SWAT) and I was the day watch commander. For most of the day, Reynolds and other actors and film-crew personnel were in and around the first floor (where Metro was located) shooting scenes. This was all authorized by the city but we still had our business to conduct.

Reynolds was very friendly with us - seemed like a decent fellow. I always liked him - sorry that he passed. DAVE

·
Premium Member
15,480 Posts
My friends and I go to Burt’s nephew here in Florida for physical therapy, when needed.
He’s a fantastic guy and he has shared many stories with me. Most of them were stories I could not share on the internet. LOL

Burt was as cool as we thought he was and our friend was formerly a stuntman on many of his Uncles movies before getting into physical therapy.
If you are in the West Palm area and need someone great to work out the pain, get in touch with me and I’ll get you his information.

RIP

1 - 6 of 6 Posts