Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,257 Posts
I have about a dozen Martin altos and you can just keep those rivet pads. They work fine on these. As ti the mouthpiece, I find them nothing special but should be kept with the horn. Last year I got a minty Magna alto and have yet to try it out....kind of busy here.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,522 Posts
i have had my one owner martin for 25 years and just this spring finally treated it to a full proffessional repad. its ready to rock now. before i had played it till the original pads from the 50,s started to fall apart. i agree with bruce that the rivet pads worked fine in these

·
Registered
30 Posts
Dude congrats! I love hearing stuff like this! It’s also great that you know who it came from so you can appreciate more! Awesome!! I love the goodies too!

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I spent this afternoon playing the Comm III back-to-back with my other altos. I'll tell you what was immediately apparent with every horn I played, even a couple of modern ones...the Comm III's intonation is the best of all of them. The upper register is always sharp, right? My brain is basically on autopilot to lip down high A and B at least. Not needed on the Martin. The upper register is spot-friggin-on.

·
Registered
6,616 Posts
I have never owned one of these but I do have a Committee I and I've played a friend's III pretty extensively.

They play great, and the mechanism has a wonderful precision feel that's (sorry!) largely absent from the Conns I favor. The Martin is really built like a piece of precision machinery, with a lot of thought given to the details. Where Conn would just have a key foot with some cork (works fine) Martin will have a little guide mounted to the body to keep the key from deflecting sideways, and maybe even a little extra sized foot to give more cork area. And so on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,606 Posts
Unfortunately, the fifty year warranty is up...
Hah! Great catch.

That is a well-crafted text regarding "certain parts" and finish.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Unfortunately, the fifty year warranty is up...
It was bound to happen eventually. Actually, I think the warranty probably expired in 1971 regardless of how many years it says.😉😉

BTW, what's the warranty on a new Yamaha or Yanigisawa?

5 years.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That instrument looks great! So the previous owner paid $214 + his old Gretsch alto to get this Martin.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Yep. I Googled the owners name but didn't come up with anything plausible. He'd be at least in his upper 80's. I'd just love to make a phone call and say "Hey, remember that horn you bought in '53?..."

Like as not, it was purchased at an estate sale after having been found while clearing out grandpa's basement...getting house ready to sell after he died.

·
Discombobulated SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 201
9,869 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
Odd that it doesn't mention the music store, or perhaps I just read it too quickly.
No, it doesn't. It's focused more on his later life in Florida. He was only 38 when he sold the horn to C.A. Anderson.

It does mention that he taught at Penn State and the store was in State College, PA.

·
Registered
75 Posts
OHG I bid on that horn and forgot to go back near the close to win it. From a great seller, I bought a horn from him before and it played great right out of the box.
I have a 1949 tenor equivalent from an estate sale in same condition and same mouthpiece and paperwork!
Those prices back then, we've been on a inflation ramp for so long we think it's level ground.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts