Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/SOTW Columnist
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, my dirty blues band, Joey the Saint & the A-Men, did a gig last year as part of a Burlesque show -- one set in the middle of their variety show. The girl who heads up the Burlesque troupe got in touch with me a few months ago to do it again, and I suggested that instead, we turn it into a full-blown show built around my music. Like the "Jump and Swing" show that I used to do with Tim Casey & the Bluescats, except the music would be much more risqué, and instead of swing dancers, we'd have strippers in pasties and G-strings.

It was kinda like that commercial where the chocolate meets the peanut butter.

For the past couple of months, the girls have been working up routines to my original, funny/dirty blues tunes. We are turning this into a full, 3-hour show, with swing dance lessons at the beginning, 8 knockout girls, and a 9-piece band knocking out 40's and 50's jump-blues style originals. We had our first rehearsal last night, blocking the show and working out the girls' routines. The girls, of course, were in (and then out of) their costumes. And did I mention practice was at a bar?

Let's just say I will be having no trouble convincing the band to come to rehearsals from now on. :twisted:

·
Registered
475 Posts
Joey,

Is this show going to be in Seattle? If so, I'll have to come down and see them, er, ah, I mean you and your group (I'm in Mount Vernon)....

Al Carter

·
Registered
293 Posts
I've been doing the hired gun thing w/ 2 different burlesque shows.... great for sax features with a girl or two dancing around you :king:... not much attention is given to the band otherwise :shock:

·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey, Al. The first show will be next Thursday, the 19th, at Club Motor in Seattle. Future shows will be on my website. Definitely come down!

Jazzed: The great thing about this show is that the band is doing 3 sets, and the girls are only appearing every few songs. The girls are a bonus, no so much the main feature. Because I could totally see it being the way you described it, and since we're doing originals, well, we kinda want some of that audience attention. We're making sure that the band is dressed to the nines, we've hired a spotlight, the songs are funny and engaging. It's definitely the band's show; these girls are the frosting.

Mmmm.....frosting......

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,006 Posts
MAN WHAT A GREAT IDEA!

I could do this sort of thing with my band. We do a lot of jump blues (also things like 'Harlem Nocturne') and some Wynonie Harris tunes with lyrics that would fit right in.

Sounds like fun.

·
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We open and close the show with Wynonnie Harris's "Shake That Thing." I wrote some alternate verses, though. :twisted:

Some pics of the show are up on my Facebook, also.

www.facebook.com/joeythesaint

The show was a rousing success and we'll be doing it a lot more. I am now counting the days until the Washington Blues Society puts a horse's head in my bed.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, seeker of the knowing of t
4,344 Posts
Huh there was a band there... a sax player too?.... I didn't see any band...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts