Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Buescher 1924 True Tone C-Melody sax and it came with a Geo M Bundy #3 hard rubber mouthpiece (as well as a Selmer S80 tenor MPC). I'm trying to identify the Bundy and I'm not really sure whether it is a true C-Melody or actually a tenor.

It is 100mm long versus the Selmer at 111mm, both accept a tenor reed correctly, they both fit the Buescher (tenor style curly-neck) although the Bundy is a bit tighter, and both can tune correctly (I'm not necessarily saying the intonation across the range is balanced on both.... haven't got that far yet).

Can anyone identify this mouthpiece please?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,519 Posts
So if I read this correctly, the Bundy fits the C-Mel neck tightly, yes ?

On the surface this suggests the Bundy is a C-Mel, since it fits the neck tightly.

The thing here is, tho: this could be because it's a C-Mel mouthpiece OR because the previous owner used his Selmer Tenor mouthpiece on the horn and therefore had the neck corked to take the Selmer.

I have some tenor mouthpieces here which are actually 100mm long, give or take a mm, although most are longer. The two C-Mel 'pieces I have here are in the 95-96ish area, whereas the Alto mouthpieces are in the 90 area....

I have never seen an old George rubber C-Mel 'piece, although that means little given I rarely purchase C-Mels....but given the Tenor reeds fit both well, I would posit those are Tenor mouthpieces.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have a Geo. M. Bundy #3 mouthpiece that came with a Bundy II tenor that, as best as I can tell from the serial number, would be from about 1980. I have to believe it was the standard issue mouthpiece given with the horn and would be about that old. I would say that it is slightly over 100 millimeters --102, maybe. Hope this helps . . .

1 - 3 of 3 Posts