Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Bundy by Selmer Alto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Having not played for a looong time (~35 years), I got the urge to start again. Today I bought a Bundy by Selmer Alto Sax (Elkhart Indiana) for €185, serial number 5796660, just to get the hang of it again. Could anyone tell me more about the background of this horn, like the thread on Bundy Selmer?...... The seller told me it has been in storage for 24 years, but the sound seems to be quite OK and the pads seem not te be completely dried out. When I improve, I will probably look for a higher quality horn, but to start again, I thought this was quite an affordable choice.

Looking forward to the content of this forum!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
20,028 Posts
Well first off, from your description I am pretty sure the horn is leaking (not going out ona limb on that)....so get it checked by a tech and be ready to invest around 11 euro at least to get it speaking up and down decently.
Post a photo, is it a Bundy II or I ?

·
Registered
1955 Conn 16M + 1973 Bundy 1 alto
296 Posts
Are you sure about the serial number? If there were one less digit but it begins with the 579XXX it would be around the age of my Bundy alto - mid-70s.

I bought mine ~5 yrs ago and it played OK for a few weeks and then pads started cracking and I paid for a $400 US repad. Financially, the total I spent doesn't make financial sense, but it's a good sounding durable horn, just with clunky keywork. But I have klunky hands and fingers, so I think we're made for each other. I later bought a student tenor, a 1955 Conn 16M, with all the same characteristics and with an even more immediate need for a repad.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
733 Posts
Bundy IIs were school horns and built quite well. Their sound is not bad, but they work for middle school- high school marching bands. This is a case where the value is not great, but they repair well and hold up well. So, it is a player's horn and not a collector's horn.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Cannonball 5J hr (Meyer clone produced by JJ Babbitt))
733 Posts
The horn has been "treated." It looks like a Beuscher styled Bundy, and the serial number indicates early 70s after Selmer purchased Bundy. It is hard to tell with the coating.

·
Registered
733 Posts
That is the factory finish! Epoxy lacquer, and looks to be in good shape. The finish.
Pads could be good, bad, whtvr.

Solid sax!
Wow. All the Bundys I saw back in the day were lacquered brass. That is a Bundy I, not a II. I have a II about 10 years newer than that one, similar keys and engraved logo.

·
Registered
Vito Alto -Gigliotti Spectrum, Eastar soprano- Morgan 4, Eastrock tenor-Gigliotti
336 Posts
The first time I saw one of those was on Goodwill and I thought someone had spray painted it.

·
Registered
8,828 Posts
Yep that's the dreaded "gold sparkle" finish. It's a factory finish. I assume cheaper than buffing to a high shine for clear. I don't know whether the gold sparkle was offered at the same time as clear, nor whether there was a price difference.

The horns play the same.

I believe that's also the general time frame of the rubber floating pads.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,496 Posts
Indeed, absolutely factory finish it is actually called “ Gold Epoxy Finish” or at least most people I know call it like that.

This finish comes indeed with this rubber pads and the value is lower than the same model in gold lacquer.

This finish, I think, was especially developed for marching bands being more resistant to scratching and humidity.

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
Indeed, absolutely factory finish it is actually called “ Gold Epoxy Finish”
I kind of like the gold epoxy finish look, but it reminds me of Nigel McGill customizing his YAS-23 with a zebra paint job.

·
Registered
Bundy by Selmer Alto
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I kind of like the gold epoxy finish look, but it reminds me of Nigel McGill customizing his YAS-23 with a zebra paint job.

Never considered that as an opportunity, have not seen any painted sax before. Cool job! As you have cooks and you have eaters: I am not that much of a technician and I believe that I can actually learn to play, but learning to take a sax apart, or rather putting it back together again...

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
43,496 Posts
well, there are lots of painted saxophones, also in the NL (used by some players like Wouter Kiers)

they have existed since the’20 ( Conn) but in modern times in the ’90 there were the ones from L.A. Sax ( which produced a Zebra sax too )

1 - 17 of 17 Posts