Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About to buy a Bundy 2 Alto for $125.... its a 1999 in decent condition with case, mtp, stand, strap.. etc....... give me some feedback.

·
Registered
418 Posts
I bought a 1980's Bundy II for my son. Great tone and intonation despite their reputation. If it's a good one I think $125 is a steal especially if it's in working condition.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea.. I'm a high school tenor player.. I've been anxious to buy an alto for a while and I found this. I'm probably going to buy it, see how it is, then sell it cause they go for around $200 in decent condition. It won't be any match to my Yts 62ii with my Jody Jazz DV.. haha

·
Registered
127 Posts
totally agreed, if you can try it and it's not one of the lemons, then $150-$200 is a pretty average price from what I see go by on eBay.

I'm a little biased because my own first beginner alto was a Bundy-I that my 10 year old is currently playing, and just from what I've seen in the stores and heard on the wire, the Bundy-I is a better choice, but far less likely to come up for sale.

The Bundy shop was a US distributor for Selmer who later got the idea of licensing the dies to manufacture the Selmer line in America, so the Bundy-I pretty much is a Selmer with some cheaper mechanisms, whereas the Bundy-II was a re-invented thing, totally home-grown.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
totally agreed, if you can try it and it's not one of the lemons, then $150-$200 is a pretty average price from what I see go by on eBay.

I'm a little biased because my own first beginner alto was a Bundy-I that my 10 year old is currently playing, and just from what I've seen in the stores and heard on the wire, the Bundy-I is a better choice, but far less likely to come up for sale.

The Bundy shop was a US distributor for Selmer who later got the idea of licensing the dies to manufacture the Selmer line in America, so the Bundy-I pretty much is a Selmer with some cheaper mechanisms, whereas the Bundy-II was a re-invented thing, totally home-grown.
Hate to be the one to burst the bubble, but the Bundy 1 is related to a Selmer (Paris) horn in the same way that New York is related to Paris, France.

They are not. At no time have any of the Bundy's been a Selmer Paris horn. The Bundy I is a cheapened Buescher instrument, produced shortly after the merger with Selmer USA until the early 70's. The Bundy 2 started afterwards, moving the bell keys to the other side (presumeably to more closely approximate a Selmer Paris horn).

Buried on Saxpics.com is a little blurb on the Bundy's with some pics.

http://www.saxpics.com/selmer/bundy.htm

Bundy II is a pretty standard student instrument from the '70s to the late 90's. It will serve you well as a student player if it's in good playing condition.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts

The Bundy I has absolutely no connection to Selmer Paris instruments in either design or influence.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,000 Posts
I hope it really is in good playing shape, needing no work. Because if it does need an hour or two of tech work, there goes your awesome deal.....

yeah...I do, too, love it when folks say Bundys are Selmers......

Do a quick reading on when selmer bought out (and subsequently destroyed the good name of) Buescher in around '63. Then you will find the correct provenance of the Bundy line.

(actually, not to be negative here....the II's are better than most student contemporary horns of today, and they do usually come quite cheap...so they are a valid choice, noting the caveat above).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
I ended up buying this one... in okay cosmetic shape... Plays like a charm.
If it plays well for $125, then it was a very good deal. Retail, Bundy IIs in the condition you describe seem to go in the $300-$350 range.

They can be clank-traps and have some frustrating aspects from a repair perspective (like keyarms of incorrect length that makes centering a cup futile, and a spaghetti-work of arms on that one screw-rod for the table). I find they also have mediocre action due to cheap, short springs. However, they are fairly rigid in build, play in tune, and have a nice tone (I think).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts