Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since the marketplace has come back online there have been 4 bumps that i've noticed. Since this was a point of emphasis while the marketplace was closed, i'm just wondering why nothing is happening related to these actions.

·
Registered
719 Posts
What exactly is bumping anyway? Can we add information about a lower price for example?

And btw, it seems like people are still replying to FS posts - or does the read-only status only apply to new ones?

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,791 Posts
Check the updated rules guys.

You can't miss the link to them, it's displayed in an ugly big banner above each FS thread:
https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...ketplace-***&p=3680609&viewfull=1#post3680609

Since the marketplace has come back online there have been 4 bumps that i've noticed. Since this was a point of emphasis while the marketplace was closed, i'm just wondering why nothing is happening related to these actions.
The moderators can't inspect each posted thread, we also relay on the members to report such posts (by using the little triangle on the left bottom of each post.

What exactly is bumping anyway? Can we add information about a lower price for example?

And btw, it seems like people are still replying to FS posts - or does the read-only status only apply to new ones?
3. There is no bumping allowed.

Bumping comes from the term BUMP, which stands for: Bring My Post UP – In other words, bumping is the act of posting frequent updates in one's marketplace ad in order for it to appear on top of the forum page – Not only is this practice unfair, but it’s annoying and it can lead to “Bumping wars” which in turn cause chaos rather than the anticipated benefits. The OP CAN reduce the price (at least 2%) , add pertinent supplemental info/photos etc. in successive posts within the thread however.

Bumping includes:

Still for sale
Sale pending
Adding a new FS item to the thread

+-+-+-+-+

Nobody should be able to add posts to FS threads, except the OP and the moderators. Please report those 'strange' posts if you see them.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
29,295 Posts
People can report them, then we can act. Often we won’t know without the reports.

·
29,295 Posts

No the read only status should apply to all, agin please report as there may still be some tweaks we need to do. Thanks.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,524 Posts
3. There is no bumping allowed.

Bumping comes from the term BUMP, which stands for: Bring My Post UP...
No, it decodes to Bring Up My Post - BUMP, not BMPU...

Seriously???

·
29,295 Posts
bruce replied on this thread - don't know if this sub forum has different rules

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...nn-Alto-Saxophone-Neck-with-Microtuner-Silver
Thanks, no it was a user group whose permissions I hadn't changed. The system of different permissions for different users on different forums and huge number of usergroups has meant that there isn't just one box to tick, there are lots of boxes scattered all over the place.

This particular one has been fixed (touch wood)

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,791 Posts
No, it decodes to Bring Up My Post - BUMP, not BMPU...

Seriously???
G, that text is 'seriously' a copy (remainder) of the old SOTW FS rules and up there for ages.

Glad you finally detected that, after having posted many FS threads yourself in the past.

I will update the current rules.

·
Registered
719 Posts
Would it be better to only allow the main post to be edited for adding photos or adding information, i.e. instead of adding new posts to the same thread (and thus no bumping at all)?

In addition just making sure the sold posts are pruned regularly so any thread in For Sale is really only sales that are relevant and active.

·
29,295 Posts
Would it be better to only allow the main post to be edited for adding photos or adding information, i.e. instead of adding new posts to the same thread (and thus no bumping at all)?
It's a double edged sword really. Once the description is editable, it leaves the door wide open for description fraud. But then leaving it available for OP replies is an invitation to bump.

I'm hoping the rules will sink in to peoples' subconsciouses (to the root of their very soul) and the bumping will stop happening. The ting is if it does continue (in spite of the huge ugly banner at the top of the marketplace) then we would possibly revisit the idea of closing it for good. So the actions of a few could spoil it for the others.

·
Registered
719 Posts
It's a double edged sword really. Once the description is editable, it leaves the door wide open for description fraud. But then leaving it available for OP replies is an invitation to bump.

I'm hoping the rules will sink in to peoples' subconscious and the bumping will stop happening. The ting is if it does continue (in spite of the huge ugly banner at the top of the marketplace) then we would possibly revisit the idea of closing it for good. So the actions of a few could spoil it for the others.
Fair point, it's also not a good solution... If people police each other it should be more manageable for admins, and hopefully won't lead to shutting down the marketplace. It's a useful service for the community I think.

·
33,524 Posts
G, that text is 'seriously' a copy (remainder) of the old SOTW FS rules and up there for ages.

Glad you finally detected that, after having posted many FS threads yourself in the past.

I will update the current rules.
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, MrPeeBee. Please don’t take that personally.

I try not to pay attention to typos in boilerplate text, else I’d be editing all the time. :bluewink:

(FWIW, when I was in the Navy, I used to carry a grease pen in my pocket to correct misspelled shipboard graffiti.)

THANK YOU and all the moderators and support staff that keep this forum humming.

Be well,

George

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I'm hoping the rules will sink in to peoples' subconscious and the bumping will stop happening. The ting is if it does continue (in spite of the huge ugly banner at the top of the marketplace) then we would possibly revisit the idea of closing it for good. So the actions of a few could spoil it for the others.
perhaps amending the rules to "lock a thread" if bumping occurs will discourage folks from doing it. this makes more sense, to me, than deleting a thread or suspending a member - suspension just hurts the forum and deleting gives the member an opportunity to re-post and achieve their goal of being at the top of the queue.

·
Registered
719 Posts
perhaps amending the rules to "lock a thread" if bumping occurs will discourage folks from doing it. this makes more sense, to me, than deleting a thread or suspending a member - suspension just hurts the forum and deleting gives the member an opportunity to re-post and achieve their goal of being at the top of the queue.
So far they've only removed the bump post, not the whole thread.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,791 Posts
Sorry to ruffle your feathers, MrPeeBee. Please don’t take that personally.

I try not to pay attention to typos in boilerplate text, else I’d be editing all the time. :bluewink:

(FWIW, when I was in the Navy, I used to carry a grease pen in my pocket to correct misspelled shipboard graffiti.)

THANK YOU and all the moderators and support staff that keep this forum humming.

Be well,

George
Thanks for clarifying, it's all fine. :)

·
33,524 Posts
Locking a FS thread still leaves the sale open and the ad displayed.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.