Sax on the Web Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there. I just received my Super D Florida Retro Revival from sax.co.uk and wanted to have your thoughts on the build quality of the piece.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bcge95okmp5yvc/IMG_20180617_181744.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/twhjt6i22e55hgk/IMG_20180617_181729.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kp07pamsjnklon/IMG_20180617_181648.jpg?dl=0

As you can see on the pics, the rail and tip look fine but I'm surprised by the quality of the what’s inside the mouthpiece. There is this big line in the middle of the baffle and the floor. Also, relatively important machinery marks on the inner side wall, especially on one of the side.

I wanted to know what you think about that. For a mouthpiece with this price tag, I expected something ... perfect! I mean I have several Vandoren metal mouthpiece and they look better than this and the mouthpieces are half the price.

Regards

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
It really doesn’t matter what someone else thinks, does it? If you don’t like it, send it back.

There are several other brands that have a high level of finish work at a similar price point. I’ve never understood why this brand is so expensive - but people don’t care about my opinion. RR is really good at the hyperbole and the sales pitch - but you already know that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
It really doesn’t matter what someone else thinks, does it? If you don’t like it, send it back.

There are several other brands that have a high level of finish work at a similar price point. I’ve never understood why this brand is so expensive - but people don’t care about my opinion. RR is really good at the hyperbole and the sales pitch - but you already know that.
I'd be more concerned with how it plays...

So, how does it play?

I've had some pretty mouthpieces that look amazing but played like garbage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,949 Posts
I'd be more concerned with how it plays...

So, how does it play?

I've had some pretty mouthpieces that look amazing but played like garbage.
Sure - it needs to play well. On the other hand, if one buys a new mouthpiece at retail price from a dealer, it should meet all expectations. The opportunity to return it is part of the extra value when paying retail prices.

·
Registered
3,720 Posts
Interesting that their website says "Milled form the highest quality solid bell brass" and that imperfection looks like what you'd get from a mouthpiece that's cast.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,364 Posts
Then again- consider original Dave Guardala pieces- they are a thing of legend- and quite often have visible file marks on the baffle...

·
SOTW Columnist and Forum Contributor 2015-2016
3,832 Posts
This piece looks like it was fully machined. No hand finishing involved at all, imo. RR stopped using Eric Falcon for the hand finishing of their pieces a while ago. They refused to state who was hand finishing their pieces, if anyone.

Recently they changed their main page on the website to read "Amazing Artistic Hand Engineering" but then the end reads "every mouthpiece is hand finished." Clearly whoever is supposedly doing the hand finishing isnt that great to let a piece like this go out there. Then for the "quality control" of Bob Sheppard and Joel to supposedly play every piece...how would they let one that looks this bad out there?

Buddy Lee....playing is only part of it. Its also getting what you paid for. If you went to an expensive restaurant, ordered a $100 filet mignon steak.....and got served a rib eye steak....its like saying "well how does it taste?" It might taste great, but that's not the point. You paid for filet mignon, you should get filet mignon. In this case, they paid for a top shelf hand-finished piece, and got sloppy machining work.

This denotes a larger concern with this company: they have claimed to make 100% replicas from vintage pieces, but they change baffle heights, chamber sizes, and facing curves. They're not copies or replicas at all. They've changed wording on posts after they posted. Changed wording on their website after being called out. The shady business side has not gone unnoticed and has been of a large concern for a while now.

When you ask specific questions regarding these concerns, they either ignore you or insult you by saying they're better players and you're not equipped to judge their pieces.

- Saxaholic

·
Premium Member
15,494 Posts
Then again- consider original Dave Guardala pieces- they are a thing of legend- and quite often have visible file marks on the baffle...

I don’t need to comment on someone else’s products but I can tell you that Guardala file marks at the baffle were put there on purpose. I talked to Dave dozens of times on the phone in length about mouthpiece making and all of that, and he put the marks there to add turbulence to the air.

·
Registered
603 Posts
This piece looks like it was fully machined. No hand finishing involved at all, imo. RR stopped using Eric Falcon for the hand finishing of their pieces a while ago. They refused to state who was hand finishing their pieces, if anyone.

Recently they changed their main page on the website to read "Amazing Artistic Hand Engineering" but then the end reads "every mouthpiece is hand finished." Clearly whoever is supposedly doing the hand finishing isnt that great to let a piece like this go out there. Then for the "quality control" of Bob Sheppard and Joel to supposedly play every piece...how would they let one that looks this bad out there?

Buddy Lee....playing is only part of it. Its also getting what you paid for. If you went to an expensive restaurant, ordered a $100 filet mignon steak.....and got served a rib eye steak....its like saying "well how does it taste?" It might taste great, but that's not the point. You paid for filet mignon, you should get filet mignon. In this case, they paid for a top shelf hand-finished piece, and got sloppy machining work.

This denotes a larger concern with this company: they have claimed to make 100% replicas from vintage pieces, but they change baffle heights, chamber sizes, and facing curves. They're not copies or replicas at all. They've changed wording on posts after they posted. Changed wording on their website after being called out. The shady business side has not gone unnoticed and has been of a large concern for a while now.

When you ask specific questions regarding these concerns, they either ignore you or insult you by saying they're better players and you're not equipped to judge their pieces.

- Saxaholic
Here you go again!

I have to say my Super D Florida is simply the very best mouthpiece I have ever played and I've played a lot. It is simply superb and I have never been so happy, so much so I've ordered another one in a larger tip opening just in case it feels even better for me. Steve Neff reviewed the Super D's and immediately bought one, he doesn't buy many of the mouthpieces he reviews. Jim Cheek a manager at sax.co.uk has reviewed them and says, 'simply put, I love this mouthpiece' and he gets to try almost every mouthpiece on the market I'd imagine. So Retro Revival are obviously doing something right.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,680 Posts
Hi there. I just received my Super D Florida Retro Revival from sax.co.uk and wanted to have your thoughts on the build quality of the piece.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7bcge95okmp5yvc/IMG_20180617_181744.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/twhjt6i22e55hgk/IMG_20180617_181729.jpg?dl=0
https://www.dropbox.com/s/6kp07pamsjnklon/IMG_20180617_181648.jpg?dl=0

As you can see on the pics, the rail and tip look fine but I'm surprised by the quality of the what’s inside the mouthpiece. There is this big line in the middle of the baffle and the floor. Also, relatively important machinery marks on the inner side wall, especially on one of the side.

I wanted to know what you think about that. For a mouthpiece with this price tag, I expected something ... perfect! I mean I have several Vandoren metal mouthpiece and they look better than this and the mouthpieces are half the price.

Regards
Doesn't look bad to me . How does it play for you compared to your better looking Vandorens ?

·
3,832 Posts
Scotssax: You missed the point where they stopped using Eric Falcon for all the hand-finishing. Those reviews, and your mouthpiece, most likely were hand-finished by Eric.

That is no longer the case for RR mouthpiece, and as evidenced the pictures here, looks like they're only machining the pieces with no hand-finishing.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
603 Posts
Scotssax: You missed the point where they stopped using Eric Falcon for all the hand-finishing. Those reviews, and your mouthpiece, most likely were hand-finished by Eric.

That is no longer the case for RR mouthpiece, and as evidenced the pictures here, looks like they're only machining the pieces with no hand-finishing.

- Saxaholic
Well he was still hand finishing them some time in May when he posted on Facebook that he'd never been prouder of a mouthpiece about the new RR Crescent, so I'd imagine anything in stock at Sax.co.uk at the moment have been finished by him.

·
3,832 Posts
Scotssax: Question - do you think it's ok for RR to claim they are replicating vintage mouthpieces when they are altering the baffle height and style, chamber size, and facing curve? Do you think that is honest advertising? Is it ok to call it a "Double Ring Replica" when the baffle is totally different than an original Double Ring? Further, do you think it is honest to change wording of past posts once called out on it, in order to look like you've been saying something different all along?

To me, it seems extremely unlikely those machining marks would remain on a piece that Eric did. That's the whole point of them going through his hands. But we are both just assuming because obviously we don't know.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thank you all for your reply. The mouthpiece plays fine but not great to me. I probably need to get used to it a bit more though, I only played it for few hours. The tone is pretty much what I imagined but it feels pretty resistant to me and not too easy to control (compare to my current Drake mouthpiece. Same tip opening).

@Scotssax, Yes I know about the Jim Cheek an Steve Neff reviews, that's why I wanted to get this mouthpiece

As @Saxaholic helped me to point out, there is a mark inside the shank that looks like "EF" so it must have been refaced by Eric Falcon

·
Registered
603 Posts
Steve Neff seems to think they're very much like Links he's played and even said in his opinion, it is one of the best Otto Link type tenor mouthpieces he has played over all these years.

·
3,832 Posts
I very much respect Steve and what he does for the saxophone playing community.

But, you didn't answer any of my questions.

- Saxaholic

·
Registered
603 Posts
How do you know that the chamber size and facing have been altered? Has someone told you that? Every Link from every decade were all so different and individual anyway.

·
3,832 Posts
Through in person visual inspection of original Links and the RR mouthpieces, as well as observations from others. And we arent talking Links decades apart, we are talking about a very specific time range of pieces they are claiming to copy.

If you don't want to answer the questions, that's fine, you don't have to. I understand how my posts may seem annoying, but this kind of deception, intentional or not, should be made known to potential customers.

- Saxaholic

1 - 20 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.