Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any ideas how much this may be worth? --from what I can gather it was made in mid '70's and seemingly has had one owner who does'nt play anymore and wishes to sell S/N is F214xxx.
Articulated G#, low Eb,D# trill, 6 rings. Horn is in good condition and plays well with current pads.

·
Researcher, Teacher and Horn Revitalizer, Forum Co
3,510 Posts
also the F in the serial number signifies it's a high pitch instrument

a FullBoehm R13 has been on ebay for quite some time, slowly going down in price which is currently at $1300.

An RC would be worth more than the above R13 RB.
Check eBay though as I recall within the last couple weeks a BC-20 FullBoehm - the BC20 preceeded the RC and would give a better indication of potential price. With the RC being more than the older BC20 i would assume.

·
3,510 Posts
The "BC-20" which i mentioned was actually another R-13 FB which sold for $1250 USD

but RCs normally sell for about $700ish more than regular R13s (just looking at eBay). But those are standard pitch not the "F" series high pitch ones which are more commonly used in Europe, etc. but just using the $1250 as a guideline i would think $2000 ish isn't out of the question, though being high pitched might lower it's potential price in an open market like US eBay. You may get more for it in Europe or the UK per your location.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,410 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Steve, BTW when you mention 'High Pitch' would that be 442--444 ?? The lady in question is looking for around £400--£500GBP from what I can tell.

·
3,510 Posts
Yes I think it's 442.

I have a BC20 F series too and i think it plays at 442 - I haven't played it in an ensemble lately and can't recall.

500GBP - should be able to double that easily, though it is a FullBoehm which not many players are looking for.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
The F in the S/N (supposedly) means the clarinet is for 442 and not 440, but I think often it is just that it has a 1mm shorter barrel. Since in many (most?) places (at least here) you need to be able to play in tune in both 440 and 442 a clarinet should be able to do that and most good clarinets do. Weather affects the clarinet intonation more than that anyway. I've tried many Buffets with the F in the S/N and noticed they don't have more of a problem playing 440, with the right mouthpiece and barrel, than clarinets without (e.g. I had one without the F which was very sharp).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.