Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just purchased a lovily Buffet super Dynaction , dynamite setup on the horn itself ,
cudos to the tech, top to bottom..

looking for sound samples of mouthpieces on a buffet SDA , going to try a Dukoff 5* when it gets here , its a 1959 and incredible tones all the way down , limited only by the mouth pieces I have for my Conn 10m, super pronounced changes m-piece to m-piece , for jazz what is the best by opinion proxy.

Cheers to All ,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Scleff, Buffet sdas are great horns -- well built, full tone. I tend to like the dark NYC sound and these horns are great for that! I play a HR Link Tone Edge on mine or the Buffet Crampon F mouthpiece that came with my horn. I loveit for straigh ahead jazz. The high end aboce C3 is like a turbo kicking in. Really nice horns.

Mine is a 69 closet horn in sparkle lacquer. Yours probably plays a fair amount darker than mine. If i were you i'd store the original case if you still have it and get a good fitting Gator or Protec. The case is the worst ive ever seen. The neck isnt safe in its slot and therenis too much slack in the horn. Do not use the original case to transport the horn back and forth!

Otherwise, i suggest a darkish mpc like a link, meyer, etc...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hgiles, Protec in place , nice fit and yeah really dark , darker than my conn , I have a few friends in the pawns here , hope I can play some , prices
are pretty unreal for a mpiece , what do you think of the dukoff hollywood , ever played one?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
I played a dukoff Hollywood for a while. It mightbwork well for you on that horn. I just dont like Silverite, so i stopped blowing dukoffs in general. Then later i stopped liking metal of any formulation...

It might blow great! Try it!

·
Registered
88 Posts
Sclef...I agree with hgiles. SDA'S are fantastic horns! They seem to be overlooked for some reason. I have a student playing a 1968 with a 6 rubber Link and he sounds fantastic. So true about the case!! SDA'S seem versatile and have a beautiful dark tone, but nicely spread. I think you'll love it. Best wishes!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You were right on it , better with link edge slant , used the dukoff on my conn 10m. Not very comfortable the metal , I like more butter...than bark!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
7,871 Posts
If you have the original mouthpiece you might want to give that a go too. They are excellent, and with a good facing can play just as good as Links, Meyers and Selmers from the same era. I have one, it plays very, very well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts