Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading through many Selmer Mark IV threads, I have discovered that many Mark IV users regard the five digit serial number models as the most desireable. I have seen many five digit horns, especially tenor saxes go for as much as $10,000 or more, depending on condition. I have a 1961 Buffet SDA alto and a 1973 SDA tenor. Other than the fact that my "sparklie" alto is more elaborately engraved than my tenor, I cannot detect any real signifcant differences.

Maybe other SDA users with more experience playing SDA horns over its production run can weigh in on this question. Are there in fact measureable differences in the way earlier SDA's play in comparison to the later or even transitional SDA's. I'm just curious because Mark IV users really really hold on to this. Thanks.

·
Forum Contributor 2015, SOTW Better late than neve
4,273 Posts
Having owned two SDA sparkie altos, one SDA tenor and one DA tenor in years ranging from 1956 to 1966 I can say without question Buffet put out some the most consistent horns made. They're build with high standards and quality control. That said, when you compare then to a Mark VI you have to keep in mind how much more miles and owners an average Mark VI has had in it's lifetime over an average Buffet.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,228 Posts
Buffet

I'm willing to bet that more time was put into making each Buffet horn. And that the smaller workforce on saxophones remained more consistent. I am also guessing that there was no design change with the Buffets. No messing around with necks and bow sizes. I also think that the tone on Buffet altos and tenors of the same model are very similer, where Mark VI's seem to have vast differences among the same saxophone types. A 1958 short bow Mark VI is really a different instrument than a 1970 medium bow Mark VI.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts