Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a 1958 SDA alto on ebay for £500 GB pounds it came with the original mouthpiece and is in very good condition with no dings or dents it also has nickel plated keys which i understand is quite rare?? it does play fine but could do with a service and a new neck cork. A few questions;

1. Did i get it for a good price?

2. There is no superdynaction engraving on it was this a common thing? it does have a dealers name on the bottom of the bell cant remember the name of the top of my head something and sons sole distributers london.

I personally think that i got a good deal, but was just wondering what you guys think.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Sirrell20004:

I believe you acquired your horn for a great price. 500 GB pounds is roughly $750.00 U.S dollars, which is considerably less than what I see them go for on Ebay. I paid well over $1700.00 USD for my alto, which is around the same vintage as yours. As far as the "SuperDynaction" engraving: Some Buffet SDAs did not have the name engraved on them. I believe that Carl Fisher, the exclusive U.S. distributor for Buffet initially engraved "SuperDynaction" on the horns.

I have read in several places on the forum that brass bodies with nickel-plated keywork was considered a premium finish on European saxes during the 1960's. Get the horn serviced and let us know how it plays.

·
Registered
656 Posts
My 1958 SDA alto is engraved with "SUPER DYNACTION" on the main body just below the neck strap ring, but it came from the UK last year. However, I don't know the prior history of the horn, so its possible that it was originally imported into the US by Carl Fisher.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have checked mine and it says John E Dallas sole importer london. i cant wait to get it serviced, i think it will really sing.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bit of an update folks, I took the sax to be serviced but decided to have it completely re-padded instead as i think the sax deserves it and on the plus side it should play like new when it comes back.

Any thoughts on what pads to go for? it still has the original screw in resonators by the way. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would chose pads that have metal resonators, as all Buffet Super Dynactions with its original pads had metal resonators (my alto was a closet horn of 45 years and had its original pads with metal resonators). It would be even more cool if you could find a tech who could incorporate your original resonators with the new pads you intend to install. I had my tenor Buffet SDA repadded with Selmer-style pads with nylon pads and I can notice an ever so slight difference in sound.

·
Registered
70 Posts
I want to buy an SDA alto. The serial is 6XXX (~1960). Could this be a 'good' model? The overall condition seems to be perfect.

Thanks,

Flow25

1 - 7 of 7 Posts