Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
I agree that some of the keywork does not look like a standard S1. The low C / Eb touchpieces are a slightly different shape to the ones on my S1 Prestige, which do have the conventional rollers rather than the Buffet tilting design seen on most S1 horns.

The neck looks very like my S1 Prestige neck except for the sticking out cylindrical feature on the front. That seems very similar to the Variospec impedance regulator by Ernest Ferron. I bought the Selmer alto Variospec, apparently dating from 1983, sold and pictured in this thread: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?229125-Selmer-Alto-neck-Variospec-(Ernest-Ferron)

Rhys

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,002 Posts
Presumably you have looked at the Buffet information and photo pages on saxpics http://www.saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=36 I would warn you that not all of the information on the site and those Buffet pages is completely accurate.

Can you tell us more about this horn - e.g. do you own it, are you thinking of buying it, do you have more pictures or a serial number ?

Rhys

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have a Buffet S1 alto, and the keywork of the instrument in post #1 is different from mine.
Also the serial number does not seem to make sense for an S1.
So I also suspect that it is not an S1.

The engraving in the post #5 picture is like mine.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Presumably you have looked at the Buffet information and photo pages on saxpics http://www.saxpics.com/?v=mod&modID=36 I would warn you that not all of the information on the site and those Buffet pages is completely accurate.

Can you tell us more about this horn - e.g. do you own it, are you thinking of buying it, do you have more pictures or a serial number ?

Rhys
I will put more pictures, it is for sale ..

·
Registered
306 Posts
It would have saved us all a lot of time if you had given us full information from the start instead of just one picture and no explanation.

I found the advert and the seller says it is a Buffet S1 body but not S1 keywork. She thinks it is an experimental model from the Buffet factory.
If she is right, then it is a curiosity. I doubt if any of us can tell you more than you already knew when you started the thread.

Seller's text is:
Why 'special'? Because apparently, it is the result of an experiment by the manufacturer, according to the information that I could gather ...

The body tube is that of an S1, but not the keywork (which is however quite ergonomic).
Another detail: the high F# key is absent.
The neck is a 'Prestige' model in pink copper, with the Ferron 'impedance variation' system.

·
Registered
180 Posts
I'm wondering if it was an extra body tube that was going to be turned in to an Evette then got the S1 treatment, Or maybe even an S2 that got an upgrade? The High E key looks correct for an S1, the key arm goes over the upper stack rods and not under, this was a trait on both the Super Dynaction and the S1. It has the correct bell-to-body brace for an S1 as well. However, the keyguards for the Bb/B, C, and Eb do not look like the typical fancy Buffet guards of the time and the Chromatic F# key should be a pearl button. I have heard of S1s being ordered without the pivoting C/Eb keys, and the later ones not having the fancy F# key mechanisim.

Would be interesting if it were truly an experimental horn as there are no new features, but a reduction in features. Bore change maybe?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts