Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I wanna get the 400 sereis :) is it a good horn? or is this one better?
The 400 is made in China. The S-1 was French made, was Buffets premier horn and was fitted with some innovative key re-designs. There is little relationship, beyond the name, between the two. Their premier European offering now is the "Senzo".

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,676 Posts
The 400 is made in China. The S-1 was French made and was Buffets premier horn and was fitted with some innovative key re-designs. There is little relationship, beyond the name between the two. Their premier European offering now is the "Senzo".
Ya, but having played and owned all the Buffets I wouldn't write the 400 off at all. In correct regulation they are a beast of a horn and equally good to the other buffets (vintage) I've owned. I know the China thing turns some people off, but those horns play.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
I just need to know becuase it seems like a really good horn. I need to step up from my old cheap horn
You should be trying various horns and hopefully not basing your choice solely on advice here. There are lots of choices, new and vintage which may or may not work for you. I think the Buffet S-1's are great horns and they are different from from the new offerings. You need to try both, if possible. Vintage Buffets shared an evolving design which made them unique, which I do not believe the 400 shares to any great extent.

·
Registered
57 Posts
For the money, vintage buffet saxophones are a very good deal.

a student of mine just picked up the 400 baritone sax and it is an excellent horn.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts