Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I just bought a buffet R13 for $550. My question is on the back of the bell it has R13 and some space and a capital B engraved. What does the B stand for?

Thanks,

Eric

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
Welcome to Sax On The Web.

Er… Clarinet On The Web?

·
Registered
929 Posts
Some time in the 1990s Buffet started stamping the model and key on their barrels and bells that shipped with their clarinets.
(I.e. you have a Bb R13, a Festival would mention that, an RC Eb would say RC E, so on.)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,766 Posts
Yes, like TrueTone says, the "B" indicates that it's a bell for a Bb clarinet.

Which is odd, because, despite some accounts to the contrary around the internet, I'm not sure that they are actually different. I just put the bells from my Bb and A clarinets (stamped "B" and "A", respectively) onto a level surface and a level placed across the two reads perfectly flat. They both fit on both instruments and the diameter at the end of the flare is exactly the same. I don't have sophisticated enough equipment to measure the inside diameter, so I can't speak to that.

From the outside, the shapes don't look different to me. I'll have to try swapping them next time I play and seeing if there is any difference at all.

·
Registered
107 Posts
The bigger question is how did you manage to get an R13 for so little? Great
price!

For all things clarinet check out www.woodwind.org and then the Clarinet BBoard for
a pretty comprehensive clarinet forum.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Congratulations!

Just curious, from which period is your R13 (or what are the first four digits of the serial number)?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts