Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some information on "Buffet" mouthpieces. I have a Buffet C tenor piece and C2 Alto piece. The C is a somewhat open piece, I had assumed it was following the Selmer system and would have been a rather close tip, rather it is more like a Link tenor 6 and the C2 alto piece is like a link alto 5* or 6.

I like how they play, not too bright, not too dark; I believe these are SDA era pieces from their design. I have read there are either Riffault or Chedeville made pieces. Link to pictures below.

My issue is the shank of the tenor piece seems to be slightly too big for my neck cork, all of my other pieces fit snugly on the neck cork, but I have to wrap some paper around the cork around the neck to make up the difference with the C piece. The c2 alto seems a little loose on the neck, but fits alright.

Has anyone else had this issue with Buffet mouthpieces?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BjUmDkXeBadJNSck7

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
I've got a Buffet Crampon "G" tenor piece and it runs about .083 at the tip (mine seems to run smaller than the Selmer system where it would correspond with an E) and an alto piece as well. They're both good players although I wouldn't characterize either of them as feeling open. No problems with a loose fit on any of my saxophone necks.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't characterize either of them as feeling open.
I meant the tip was more open than I was expecting as I was expecting it to somewhat follow the Selmer lettering scheme.

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2017
993 Posts
Got it. At any rate, Buffet Crampon mouthpieces are very nice, playable pieces IMO. There are a couple of tricks you can use to rejuvenate a compressed neck cork that you may already be aware of. I've used the "lighter" trick before: https://youtu.be/ut7erJsa4Ec - but if that doesn't work recorking is pretty easy. Enjoy your nice Buffet mouthpiece!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts