Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Buffet Expression Series Alto sax, which is from what I understand was made by Keilwerth and was the basis for the SX-90 Series. I love the big full rich sound of the horn. I have an opportunity to purchase a H. Couf Superba II alto in excellent condition for a very good price, but I need to drive a few hours to go see it and test play it. My question is since both were made by Keilwerth, am I going to notice any real difference in tone characteristics of the horns or will I be buying a horn with very similar tonal qualities? I really don't need two horns that will sound similar similar, but the Couf is at a price where it is very tempting. Any guidance, help, etc would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
815 Posts
I also have a Buffet Expression alto, best alto ever for that price range. I paid 1000usd plus some import duty about 5 yrs ago.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,963 Posts
Well, JK did change their body designs between the Coufs and their later horns. Although EVERY Keilwerth I have every tried does have that signature JK dark, wide tone.

So I don't think it'll be the same tone. But it will have some similarities.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts