Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love buffet clarinets.
I have just acquired a very old Everett buffet clarinet.
no other markings but one serial number k1245.
could anyone please tell me year model etc of this clarinet ? comparable to today ? I have searched and searched online but can't find anything definitive. I have also emailed buffet but they haven't replied yet.
it is much harder to.blow and get a sound out of than my e11.
what could be causing that please ?
I am going to renovate it and change all the pads.
what else should I do please to help it play easier ?
the sound is lovely though.
any any other tips tricks as i have never renovated a clarinet before.

thank you in advance

cheers

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
Picked up a sax in 2002 and here I am.
2,178 Posts
Most likely comparable model to your E11. As to the high resistance, have you checked for leaks? An easy check is to plug an end (a section at a time) and blow in the other end. Should be sealed tight when all holes are covered. If not, you have leaks. I’ll leave it the Tech folks to comment on how to tackle the overhaul.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Leaks. It is amazing how similarly different clarinets play when leak free and holes have appropriate venting.
IMO blowing into a closed section of clarinet is a poor test for leaks. It is difficult to detect air slowly leaving the lungs.

However if you close your throat with your tongue, then slowly "squirt" the mouthful of air into the clarinet by moving the tongue, still sealing, forwards. Then it is very easy to detect that air is escaping.
This process is the exact reverse of sucking a fluid up a drinking straw. It is a slow-motion, gentle equivalent to squirting a mouthful of water out at the dentist. (It is a human "magnehelic".)

For some people , it seems to need practice in order to achieve.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts