Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, two days ago I bought a Buffet Crampon Super Dynaction alto saxophone, but the serial number is too high. I looked up the lists and finally found that the SDA's go up to about 22400, but my sax has a 23XXX serial number. And it doesn't look like a Super Dynaction alto. It doesn't have the flat round BCplate between the body and the bell, but a curved one.After two nights on the internet I found out it looks like a S1, but it doesn't say S1 on the bell.
It's a very old ragged looking horn, red brass showing under what is left of the lacquer, with keys that are sticking so it doesn't play well. But I really liked the sound of the notes that did play, so I went for it.
Can you please help me out with finding out what kind of sax it is exactly? Thank you already!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
Many S1 were branded on the body as Super dynaction. I have seen at least two.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Esther,

I have one the same as yours, serial number 21XXX. It has the keywork of the S1, high F#, but no adjustable RH thumb rest, or S1 engraved on the bell, but Super Dynaction engraved on the body .

Regards Peter.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I'll try to upload some photos.
Peter, no adjustable thumb rest indeed, it's soldered to the body. No S1 on the bell, but Super Dynaction on the body and the S1 keywork, high F# too. So it definately seems like the same sax. Thank you too!
Is it like an in between model then? Or early model? Late SDA or early S1? S1DA? ;D

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,782 Posts
it’s a so called transitional model.

I have had a S1 soprano that was really a superdynaction.

Those exist too.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Even the engraved pattern on the bell is the same as my S1. It seems to be the same except for the thumb rest and the name.
So whatever it is called, you have a very nice saxophone.

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
Yes a S1 really. Buffet kept engraving SDA for a little while on the body. SDA's had in line tone holes also, S1 has the off set. You will love it. When they dropped the engraved sda they went full S1, movable hook and stamped S1. Just sold my S1 Prestige, fantastic tenor as my S2 Tenor gets most of my time.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Even the engraved pattern on the bell is the same as my S1. It seems to be the same except for the thumb rest and the name.
So whatever it is called, you have a very nice saxophone.
Happy to hear that, thank you!

Yes a S1 really. Buffet kept engraving SDA for a little while on the body. SDA's had in line tone holes also, S1 has the off set. You will love it. When they dropped the engraved sda they went full S1, movable hook and stamped S1. Just sold my S1 Prestige, fantastic tenor as my S2 Tenor gets most of my time.
I have the impression that this sax has the in line holes, but I'm not completely sure. But thanks for the info, I love knowing more about it.

Most importantly, it's a keeper. Those are amazing horns!
https://youtu.be/BLTrno4gEaQ
Yes, I found that one on Youtube, I used it to find out more about it. Mine doesn't look nearly as good though! :D Checked the places that he said about dents, but I found the sax is fine, no big dents on the bell or body.
I'm so happy about buying this horn. I paid 700 euro's for it. And I loved it with keys sticking and everything. I love the big sound.
Almost 10 years ago I bought a Bundy II, that I played ever since. So this is a huge upgrade!

Thank you all for helping me to this information about the horn!

·
(formerly borganiboy)
5,566 Posts
@Esther, it has off set tone holes !!! not in line. Buffet only went to off set from there S series horns

1 - 15 of 15 Posts