Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Are those you only choices? Neither is very good for the money. It's obvious price is a factor. Why not check out Barone, TK Melody, CE Winds, Bauhaus-Walstein and Kessler? I guess Trevor james is supposed to be a decent import to the UK as well.

Why not used or vintage? You can get a used Yamaha YTS-23, YTS-52, YTS-62, or a Selmer USA Omega, Vito VSP (Yanagisawa stencil), Vito B6 (Yanigisawa stencil), Vito Special, Vito "The Duke" (both french Beaugnier models), Vito Model 35 (a little harder to find, and made by LeBlanc).

Just trying to give ya options man :) .

·
6,831 Posts
Are those you only choices? Neither is very good for the money. It's obvious price is a factor. Why not check out Barone, TK Melody, CE Winds, Bauhaus-Walstein and Kessler? I guess Trevor james is supposed to be a decent import to the UK as well.

Why not used or vintage? You can get a used Yamaha YTS-23, YTS-52, YTS-62, or a Selmer USA Omega, Vito VSP (Yanagisawa stencil), Vito B6 (Yanigisawa stencil), Vito Special, Vito "The Duke" (both french Beaugnier models), Vito Model 35 (a little harder to find, and made by LeBlanc).

Just trying to give ya options man :) .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
First of all, thank you very much for the Rich reply...i'll check the options you suggested...
i just wanted to add that am a beginner ( never played Sax ) but i wanted to buy a nice one to start with...i like the tenor sound and i need an affordable one... So if you have any other suggestions for quality student affordable tenor Sax, That would be gr888...
Anyways Thanks Again...i'll go check the ones u posted above :D

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I guess i'll go with the " Trevor James Horn Revolution II Tenor " OR the " Kessler Custom Deluxe Series Tenor " ... what do you think???

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It is more but the Buffet 400 series tenor impressed me for the price point, I really thought it was a 3-4 thousand dollar saxophone when I played it. The Kesslers have gotten quite a number of good reviews on this site, and I'm sure if you email or call up they will be more than willing to help you.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Buffet beats Yamaha (with a rusty crowbar) any day. I've never played a Buffet saxophone, but the experience I've had with their clarinets is outstanding. It also depends what level of playing you are in. If your going into college looking for an instrument, you'll not only want a Buffet, but maybe a Series 400 rather than 100 (again, don't have too much experience with buffet saxs). If your a student, maybe somewhere between 7th to 11th grade, you may want the Yamaha. If you really want a professional instrument, I would suggest a Henri Selmer Paris. If you head over to a Sam Ash music store, they can let you try out the models before you buy them.

·
6,831 Posts
Buffet beats Yamaha (with a rusty crowbar) any day. I've never played a Buffet saxophone, but the experience I've had with their clarinets is outstanding. It also depends what level of playing you are in. If your going into college looking for an instrument, you'll not only want a Buffet, but maybe a Series 400 rather than 100 (again, don't have too much experience with buffet saxs). If your a student, maybe somewhere between 7th to 11th grade, you may want the Yamaha. If you really want a professional instrument, I would suggest a Henri Selmer Paris. If you head over to a Sam Ash music store, they can let you try out the models before you buy them.
Huh?

Modern Buffet saxes are fine for the hobbyist, or even some pros, but not a college student! Why? Because collges and Universities are usually very NAME BRAND pro quality picky! It's sad, but true. It's been said many times, and I'll repeat it: If buying a sax for college, check with the Music Professor first, and ask what brands will he/she accept. Same goes for Military band, if you want/need your own private instrument. After College/Military, keep what you have, or buy whatever the hell you want! Then you are on your own, and have to Professors/NCOs/Officers to kiss up to!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts