Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,
I am searching for an Buffet Crampon copper baritonesax (S3).
Does anybody saw one or does anybody of you sell one ?
Grt from Germany
Julian

·
Registered
306 Posts
About two years ago I saw a copper Buffet baritone at „Saxart“ in Bochum.
You should give Benno a call and ask for it, maybe it is still there…

·
Registered
S: SA II. A+T: Martin HC1 T: Mark VI A:39 King Zephyr B: Martin HC imperial
127 Posts
I have a low-a sda Bari which are “rare”. The S1 Bari are “ultra rare”. An S3 “prestige” (copper) Bari . . . Would not this be a mythical creature? This seems like a quest to find.

Seriously, do they really exist?

Good luck in the hunt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have a low-a sda Bari which are “rare”. The S1 Bari are “ultra rare”. An S3 “prestige” (copper) Bari . . . Would not this be a mythical creature? This seems like a quest to find.

Seriously, do they really exist?

Good luck in the hunt.
Yes there are S3 baritones, I know :) A friend of me saw one 20 years ago in a small shop in Paris. I have also a S3 soprano at home and I heard, that only 300 were built, but I don’t know if it’s right.
I have a nice book at home and on the cover is a S3 baritone.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,092 Posts
Are those beauties S3 saxes or actually the S1 Prestige family members ?

I thought that the S1 Prestige were made by Buffet Crampon and the S3 by or with Keilwerth.

Rhys
(proud owner of an S1 Prestige alto)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are those beauties S3 saxes or actually the S1 Prestige family members ?

I thought that the S1 Prestige were made by Buffet Crampon and the S3 by or with Keilwerth.

Rhys
(proud owner of an S1 Prestige alto)
mhmm good question. I thought S3 is copper, S2 silver and S1 brass/gold?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,357 Posts
I too think that the S3 were made by Keilwerth .

Of course now the companies are unified under one group (but they had contacts for years)

At the moment Buffet/Keilwerth doesn’t make any other copper sax than the Alto Senzo ( the mechanics of which nearly show the Keilwerth contribution with their positionable palm keys , a Keilwerth Patent.

No baritones are available in copper by Keilwerth)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Of course now the companies are unified under one group (but they had contacts for years)

At the moment Buffet/Keilwerth doesn’t make any other copper sax than the Alto Senzo ( the mechanics of which nearly show the Keilwerth contribution with their positionable palm keys , a Keilwerth Patent.

okay thank yout milandro, but there were S1 copper baritones from Buffet right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,357 Posts
There is debate about what a S1 is as opposed to S3 but yes, they were made ( at the time) by Buffet, which heavily co-operated with Keilwerth
If you want a Copper Baritone made by Buffet you can only look in the used saxophones, I don’t think they will ever make them again

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,092 Posts
mhmm good question. I thought S3 is copper, S2 silver and S1 brass/gold?
No.

S1 brass, silver plated as an option
S1 Prestige - copper bodied S1
S2 brass (alto and tenor only)
S3 copper bodied made by/with Keilwerth

I have S1 Prestige alto, S1 silver plated soprano, S1 baritone, S2 alto, S2 tenor and a Buffet Crampon alto made by Keilwerth (like an Expression but not marked as such)

Rhys

·
Registered
23 Posts

Yes, the S3 was designed by Buffet and assembled by Keilwerth, just like the Senzo is today (the Senzo has almost the same body and keywork as the S3).

The S3 was made from 1989 to about 2010 (in the later years branded as Keilwerth CX90 Prestige), and it was only available as an alto sax, but a Keilwerth CX90 prestige tenor existed in the late 2000s, and I have always wondered if it had the same body as an SX90.

·
Registered
S: SA II. A+T: Martin HC1 T: Mark VI A:39 King Zephyr B: Martin HC imperial
127 Posts
Yes there are S3 baritones, I know :) I have also a S3 soprano at home and I heard, that only 300 were built, but I don’t know if it’s right.
That is a good question. Since the distribution of SATB is only really known for Selmer we could extrapolate. Mark vi Bari were about 5% of production run. Earlier horns Eg SBA was about 2%. Given that Buffet Baris were probably less popular than Mark VI I suspect the number is probably closer to the 2% of production run. If I apply this to the SDA run of 20,000 probably only 400-1000 of these baris were made. The SDA Bari were continued to made well into the s1 run. So a number of 300 could be the entire run of S1s.

The other interesting stat would be the number of SDA LowA Baris to Bb. Given my estimate of 400-1000 SDA baris, how many LowA SDA bari’s exist? Gut feel would be 1 out of 3 or 4 SDA baris is a low-A.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts