Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume they were not mfr'd by Buffet.
Who made them?
Were they just one of the regular make/model of reed, re-branded for Buffet?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Are you talking about these or the ones on eBay in the clear plastic? The ones I posted below I get a strong Vandoren vibe from the box but could be wrong.

IMG_0943.jpg IMG_0951.jpg IMG_0952.jpg

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm talking about the ones in clear plastic boxes. They look about the same as these. The file cut is not straight across like a Vandoren... Or did Vandoren used to look like this in the old days and so maybe they are Vandoren?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Not sure, I was just going by the look of the box of mine and how old Vandoren boxes looked similar; this box is all yellow, old Vandoren boxes were purple and yellow.

There was no strength listed on this box, and they are on the softer side; the newer ones do have strengths listed though.

I've been wondering who made these and the plastic cased ones as well.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones marked for strength (plastic box) also run quite soft. A 3 feels like a 2. So in that regard at least, they are way different from Vandoren traditionals.
The file cut is more precise on the plastic box ones than on the ones in your photo, but still not as precisely machined as a current-production Blue Box Vandoren.
I can say that (compared to current-production Blue Box Vandoren) the blanks tend to be thicker than Vandoren, the spine and shoulders are definitely cut thinner, and the tips are thicker. But they don't appear to be as precisely machine-cut and consistent as a modern Vandoren.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts